Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can I add support for Intel GPU to the Gentoo Install ISO?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fhaddad78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Can I add support for Intel GPU to the Gentoo Install ISO? Reply with quote

I created the latest Gentoo minimal install ISO on a USB flash drive using the instructions posted in the Gentoo Wiki and the device is booting properly. However, my Intel HD3000 GPU (Sandy Bridge) is not supported and I'm forced to use a horrible 80x25 console resolution or one of the other generic non-VESA resolutions. Is there any guides or steps to add support for my particular GPU?

I would have thought the Intel GPU integrated on their CPUs would be 100% compatible. Anyway, I was going to try something daring like taking my current kernel and overwriting the one on the USB drive, but then I said I should probably ask first. (=

Thanks!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you couldn't grab the .config and build the same version kernel as the current one used on the USB but with the intel driver compiled in... The worry is that you conflict with the modules either in the initrd or the root image.

I'm kind of surprised the Intel graphics driver wasn't built in or otherwise available...
fhaddad78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eccerr0r: I will give that a try. The installation medium is only for me, so if I can get this to work, I might go further and customize it specifically for my machine. Mostly for the learning experience.

Thanks!
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Beuild_Your_Own_LiveCD_or_LivDVD is the howto however catalyst has problems at the moment.
try using the system rescue cd Gentoo based, can be used with the handbook with only one change, use elinks vice links for downloads.. Better yet can be booted to xfce4 GUI where the handbook can be opened in the midori browser and commands cpopied and pasted into an adjacent terminal..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: