Tibook 667 cant boot from livecd "openpic" failure
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxhaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Tibook 667 cant boot from livecd "openpic" failure Reply with quote

I have a problem with this powerbook.

I downloaded panther b59 and was installing it but i was having alot of issues so I just
blew it off and repartitioned/reformatted the drive with two partitions. The 1st one for gentoo and the 2nd for jag. I installed jag and everything appeared/installed fine.

Once that was accomplished I threw the cd in and booted off of it. However, when I get to
the openpic it fails and even shuts the book off.

I read all of the posts concerning this, but don't seem to be getttting anywhere I hope you can give me alittle more insight into what is truly the problem here.

Before I ever attempted to install Panther, I know this cd worked.

I reset the pmu/pram I am pretty sure, but nothing has changed.
WildBill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat. Panther updates the firmware of your machine where that particular kernel rev won't work. According to correspondence with benh, the kernel developer, this is fixed in his latest kernel versions - so all that needs to happen is for this kernel to make its way to the LiveCD...

There's a hack where you can boot to a debian floppy install image and install Gentoo that way, but frankly, that's more pain than I wanted to go through. I had to do stuff like that when I had a Sony Picturebook, so I'm familiar with the method, but I just don't have the time to dink with it.

I really want to install Gentoo on this TiBook, but for now, it looks like I'll have to wait. :(
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: helpful info ... Reply with quote

this is the topic of the hour it seems ... if you have the TiBook 667, my workaround should work for you ...

read about it https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=88188, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=94439, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=73967

my response is basically use the 1.4_rc5 iso ... worked for me, I have your model powerbook, 'cept it's the 800 mhz version ...
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livecds with updated kernel available this week
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: