Grub2 and /boot on lvm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThorZero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Grub2 and /boot on lvm Reply with quote

Hi everybody !

Does anyone ever try to put /boot on lvm with grub2 ?
I did this yesterday and it didn't work... I've got an 'error 17' when booting my PC.

I also had an error while installing grub "warning: your core.img is unusually large. It won't fit in the embedding area."
Is this error related to the error above ?

Regards
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Grub2 and /boot on lvm Reply with quote

ThorZero wrote:
I also had an error while installing grub "warning: your core.img is unusually large. It won't fit in the embedding area."

Almost certainly. GRUB 2 is very complex, and there's no way it will fit in the "traditional" areas for a boot loader on a BIOS-based computer -- namely, the 440 bytes reserved for boot loaders in the MBR and a small space at the start of the boot partition. Therefore, GRUB 2 takes over certain "unallocated" sectors on an MBR disk -- namely, whatever sectors exist between the MBR and the first partition on the disk. Using old-style "cylinder" alignment, this is normally 62 sectors (31 KiB), but on newer disks with 1MiB alignment, it's just under 1MiB. On GPT disks, GRUB 2 uses a dedicated partition, known as the BIOS Boot Partition, which can be whatever size you choose when you partition the disks, although 1MiB is a common size. So:

• If you're using an MBR disk, you can try resizing your first partition so that it starts a bit later. Unfortunately, this can be time-consuming and dangerous if it's a big partition (like an LVM physical volume). If you've got swap space or a /boot partition you want to retire in that space, you should be able to do this without too much hassle.
  • If you're using a GPT disk, you can try creating a new and larger BIOS Boot Partition to replace the one you've got now. This may require resizing another partition, but you'll at least have more options, and you should be able to shrink a partition by shaving off a bit of space at its end, which is safer than moving the end of a partition. I recommend deleting your old BIOS Boot Partition to avoid confusion or accidental use of the wrong partition.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: