Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I've decided to try Emacs.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you implying that apple is useful for something other than seperating idiots from their money?

There is nothing else apple has ever done that couldn't be done better with what already existed.

I really hate apple very hard.. but didn't they come up with computer graphics?
I sometimes don't know what I should hate more, apple or microsoft...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 547

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They came up with computer graphics as Ronald Reagan invented the internet. How did you get such an idea? A detail I remember was that they bought Xerox technology to build their graphics system on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1101
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
I really hate apple very hard.. but didn't they come up with computer graphics?

No, that'd be Xerox. Steve Jobs just ripped them off.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I just remember hearing that they were before microsoft with mouse and GUI, but of course they stole it like bsd.. but hey, apples are sooo good, not just the software, they have better hardware... lol :)

ronald reagan maybe had invented the internet along with his star wars satelite defense network
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are missing the point.

Without apple, all of that stuff would be sitting in Xerox somewhere, and we would be amazed by the fact that you can have 320x200 console window.

Steve Jobs was genious at putting things into context. That's why his stuff sells, because great majority of people agrees. Geeks with aspergers are just angry cos chicks don't dig linux. :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, without geeks with aspergers we wouldn't have anything technological... and the great majority don't agree, they are just lazy followers and buy a mac because everybody else have one and you are not cool without one (at least in some social environments)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
well, without geeks with aspergers we wouldn't have anything technological... and the great majority don't agree, they are just lazy followers and buy a mac because everybody else have one and you are not cool without one (at least in some social environments)


Cool because you follow a trend, or cool because you don't, you are still stuck in a pattern.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru


Joined: 30 Jan 2005
Posts: 471
Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
apples are sooo good, not just the software, they have better hardware... lol :)


That used to be true-ish. nowdays... not so much.

But a more correct statement would have been "Apple has better consumer grade hardware."

i've got an acer laptop at home that was given to me after being run over by a semi. cracked case, no lcd, no speakers, broken audio jack. But still working.

Show me an apple that can do the same

NQS
_________________
These opinions are mine, mine I say! Piss off and get your own.

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean.. it's like atheists that have their own believe, but it's different here anyway because if one does something or buy's something that one truly like and that didn't came from the "outside", the question if it's cool or not doesn't even appear. obviously apple users like their apple because of "outside influences" and most of them have absolutely no idea how a computer works (I know it, because two very good friends of mine are such apple users) but tell how good an apple computer is, that the hardware is better and so on...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
apples are sooo good, not just the software, they have better hardware... lol :)


That used to be true-ish. nowdays... not so much.

But a more correct statement would have been "Apple has better consumer grade hardware."

i've got an acer laptop at home that was given to me after being run over by a semi. cracked case, no lcd, no speakers, broken audio jack. But still working.

Show me an apple that can do the same

NQS

but as far as I know they also use for example intel chips, and I don't believe that apple hardware is (or was) as good as for example the old IBM thinkpads (or even the new ones...)

maybe because apple assembles the whole system, it might be more reliable, but not because "apple is better" but obviously when you design a whole system it's more coordinated then if you just build the OS and let other companies assemble the system.

back in the 80ties ETH Zurich computers were completely build at home, hardware from electrical engineers, software from computerscience departement, thats a cool "in house system".

anyway, in an apple you can't even take your battery out... :D :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru


Joined: 30 Jan 2005
Posts: 471
Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
anyway, in an apple you can't even take your battery out... :D :D


Bullshit. I've got a cutting torch.

NQS
_________________
These opinions are mine, mine I say! Piss off and get your own.

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LiamOS
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Jun 2012
Posts: 56
Location: Kerry/Dublin, Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is great.

On topic, I do hope we get a long spiel from BK about his fun with emacs.


Vim is the love of my life; so much so that many of my emails contain :w a few times, or end with
Regards,
Liam:wq
_________________
CFLAGS=" -O999999"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctrl-h a will allow you to look up commands matching a word or regular expression. (I don't think it uses perl style regex for this command though.)
ctrl-h k will tell you what function a given key combination is bound to.

Don't bother trying to memorize all those key bindings all at once. Focus instead on learning the function names and let the key bindings sink in over time.
The space bar completes names in the minibuffer no need to reach for the tab key though that works too.

http://www.emacswiki.org/ Probably has an answer. Use this site, love this site.
Code:

(setq package-archives '(("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/")
("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/")

))
Stick something like the above in your .emacs.


If you are going to hand edit your .emacs file install at least highlight-parentheses-mode and add this to your .emacs.
Code:
(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook
        (lambda()
         (highlight-parentheses-mode t)
         (paredit-mode t)));Note that paredit is optional. Though highly recommended for lisp modes.


Both highlight parentheses-mode and paredit-mode are available through the built in package manager. Enable Marmalade or Melpa repositories.
_________________
Ware wa mutekinari.
Wa ga kage waza ni kanau mono nashi.
Wa ga ichigeki wa mutekinari.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
And that picture of Wagner isn't? Looks like he was out for a round of golf and just noticed how nicely his caddy's knickers fit when he's retrieving a ball.

No evidence he was homosexual (quite the opposite!) but he did wear ladies underwear. Fact.

Quote:
Seriously: it's that bad?

Don't know, never used it. I always too turned off by Stallman and the do-it-all philosophy to give it a try. You should learn it and report back to us.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: I've decided to try Emacs. Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
NotQuiteSane wrote:
Prenj wrote:
Steve Jobs did drugs. Linus didn't. There you go. :lol:


Are you implying that apple is useful for something other than seperating idiots from their money?

There is nothing else apple has ever done that couldn't be done better with what already existed.

NQS


It is also useful to separate aspergers from the rest. :lol:

:lol:

By the way, in the new DSM, Asperger's is no longer a separate diagnosis; it has been lumped in with "Autism Spectrum Disorders" in general. Not that this has anything to do with this discussion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 107
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
emacs was made for people with manly keyboards.
Men are not required to have nimble fingers. Thought you should know.
_________________
What looks like a cat, flies like a bat, brays like a donkey, and plays like a monkey?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I cannot bring myself to do it. I did 'emerge -pv emacs' and sat there looking at it, thinking, "Do I really want to do this?" :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 107
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken Tandoori.
_________________
What looks like a cat, flies like a bat, brays like a donkey, and plays like a monkey?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woddfellow2
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 20
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warning: If you want to use the graphical Emacs with the daemon/emacsclient as many do, I recommend compiling it with the lucid toolkit instead of GTK, due to a bug in GTK that makes it unreliable.

My /etc/portage/package.use contains the following:
Code:
app-editors/emacs -gtk

_________________
1-Crawl 2-Cnfg 3-ATF 4-Exit ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Apr 2006
Posts: 239
Location: Vatican City

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Quote:
When im coding I use an IDE (eclipse/aptana) as I didnt spend $1000+ on my laptop to use 1% of its CPU and RAM, I spent $1000+ to use a nice fully featured DE with whatever apps I want that make my life as a coder easier.


I currently program in eiffel with the eiffelstudio, which is similar to eclipse. I don't understand why such an environment should make your life as a coder easier. I mean one important thing is syntax highlighting which vim etc support of course.
Of all engineering disciplines maybe software is the most buggiest from all, for example a hardware failure is very rarely but system- or program crashes do happen all the time, so why write programs that are way more complex but don't provide any thing absolute necessary, or do someone believe a vim-coder is not as good as a eclipse-coder?!


I use Eclipise(Aptana) as I am a python web developer.

I have about 8 or 9 virtualenv's I constantly swap between, instant code debugging and works for different interpreters I have setup.

Also it integrates nicely into git, so I can instantly switch between branches, track changes etc etc all within my editor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you use a Java-based IDE if you're a python web developer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Why would you use a Java-based IDE if you're a python web developer?
Directory navigation. Especially with these MVC frameworks. This can be a bit of a pain with Emacs (Yea the speedbar exists but meh.) I've been meaning to hack Rinari (A minor mode for Rails development.) to get the same functionality for the Laravel PHP framework. The directory structures are almost the same so it should not be too hard to set up for it.
_________________
Ware wa mutekinari.
Wa ga kage waza ni kanau mono nashi.
Wa ga ichigeki wa mutekinari.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2025
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
emacs was made for people with manly keyboards.
Men are not required to have nimble fingers. Thought you should know.


that is why men invented this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_cadet_keyboard
and this:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-2100
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 107
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like porn for you, isn't it?
_________________
What looks like a cat, flies like a bat, brays like a donkey, and plays like a monkey?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that is why men invented this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_cadet_keyboard

where can I buy such a keyboard?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum