View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're not going to accept greater responsibility, what basis is there for increasing your compensation, other than slight rewards to provide an incentive for productivity (in cases where increased output is beneficial, which is not universally true) and slight adjustments to keep pace with inflation?
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's really quite intuitive. The basic things you need to know about the main program (not the 2,000 extensions) can be summarized on a just single page! See? [Edit: oh, wait; that table is badly out of date, it seems. But the built-in help is awesome, intelligent, and dynamic.]
Meh friggin MS Word is just as bad, which is kind of scary in a way. How many of us ever take the time to really learn anything about typical office type programs?

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, back around 1994, when I bought my first personal copy of MS Office off the shelf (student discount, of course). Any real improvements they've made since then have gone essentially unnoticed and unused by me. :lol:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Well, if you're not going to accept greater responsibility, what basis is there for increasing your compensation, other than slight rewards to provide an incentive for productivity (in cases where increased output is beneficial, which is not universally true) and slight adjustments to keep pace with inflation?
Don't expect to keep piling more and more on people for the same money or "your salaried, I own you" level of disrespect. It is an artificial value of "greater responsibility" just because someone is management. Without those who lack such "greater responsibility" the job doesn't get done. A lot of good that overpaid manager does for you then.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I gave it a fair shot, using it for four months, and I've decided emacs is bloatware and not worth the trouble of its complexity. Fuck emacs.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

Seems like you got tired of pretending to like it.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very nice in some ways. It has a nice feel to it, anticipating your needs and so on. Unfortunately, it's also somewhat antiquated in some ways. It's kind of like trying to use Mutt for your email. Some aspects are wonderful, others suck. Ultimately, for me, that tradeoff is tipped in the "suck" direction because it is bloaty, as editors go, and requires too much TLC and too many brain registers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: