Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
My take at this point is that Emacs would be far more useful than vim for serious, deeply-involved, time consuming project work
For coding at least, I've seen people do some pretty damned amazing stuff. I'm not saying emacs can't. Are you referring to more than just coding? For word processing type work, I've not seen anyone use vi effectively.
One or two famous writers have used Emacs for an extended period of time. Though the one I am thinking of did eventually move on to tools targeted at writers. Someone tell me the name. It is a sci-fi author.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess was Mr. Cryptonomicon, and google reveals at least 3 within the top few results.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Org mode looks extremely useful.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my previous job, there were two old-school UNIX wizzards, both of them were coding in Emacs, and were really good. Watching them using it was amazing, so I think I tried honestly 2-3 times over the period of 8 years to get to grips with it. The rationalle was simple, if I could be proficient and feel at home in emacs, I don't have to worry about IDE anymore, since you would get something super-rich that works on windows, linux, solaris, X or console.

But... I never went past the stage that it felt awkward and "wrong". Kinda like watching someone play drums, and then you sit and start doing it yourself, and after 2 minutes you start thinking "now, where is my bass guitar"
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
pjp wrote:
For coding at least, I've seen people do some pretty damned amazing stuff. I'm not saying emacs can't. Are you referring to more than just coding? For word processing type work, I've not seen anyone use vi effectively.

LaTeX

vimlatex ftw.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to do that you might as well use Emacs. That's like building a shack in the bed of your pickup truck and pretending it's a Winnebago. :P
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
pjp wrote:

LaTeX
Right, but he was impressed with emacs, and I was comparing emacs & vi.

I've poked a stick at LaTeX (or some GUI version of it), and it didn't seem all that intuitive. At the time, I was trying to get something done, so really wasn't able (or willing) to spend much time learning it. It is on my list to learn someday. LibreOffice is just easier, and hard to break the habit of relying on (for significant documents where vi or notepad isn't appropriate).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used vimlatex. But I recently discovered pandoc which can convert markdown ... to beamer slides! Mind. Blown.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Never used vimlatex. But I recently discovered pandoc which can convert markdown ... to beamer slides! Mind. Blown.
I stumbled across this too recently, I don't have much of a use for it at the moment but there's a mode for it should I ever find a use for such a tool.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Org mode looks extremely useful.
It can even do spreadsheets with math in them thanks to the use of calculator related functions. I had to whip up a quick table a day or two ago and didn't have any office program installed, I didn't want to wait on something like OO or Libreoffice to compile so I watched a video on using tables in Org-mode and was done in maybe ten minutes not counting the time it took to watch the video.

Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:

Rule #46 of Life: Only after you wasted countless hours you find out how you could've done the same thing with much less effort. (… I'm still confident my presentation on Tuesday will be good)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:

That's the kind of functionality included in Emacs Org Mode. You organize tasks, thoughts, etc., using outline trees, including a basic markup language that integrates linking to everything (sites, documents, contacts, emails, tasks, code, etc.), and it can "publish" (convert and share) that in a variety of formats, include html, open office formats, documentation formats, and I think TeX. All this is built-in, of course, although not loaded unless you're going to use it. But wait! Order now and we'll include ...

Of course, it's only for keyboard-oriented people, not pointy-clicky people like yourself, who know better than to fall for the illusion of speed that keyboard-oriented user interfaces create. :P
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: right behind you ... (you did turn around, didn't you?)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandoc is a nice utility, possibly one of the best of its kind atm. The author also made a wiki based on pandoc called gitit, because it uses git as a revision backend, so everything is a flat file.
I deployed it a few months ago at my university, because there are people that write in LaTeX and other things. It can't do everything, but it can do most things. Now we use several instances even internally for other projects.

However, I still find org-mode's Beamer minor mode way more powerful and faster for writing Beamer presentations.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
That's the kind of functionality included in Emacs Org Mode. You organize tasks, thoughts, etc., using outline trees, including a basic markup language that integrates linking to everything (sites, documents, contacts, emails, tasks, code, etc.), and it can "publish" (convert and share) that in a variety of formats, include html, open office formats, documentation formats, and I think TeX. All this is built-in, of course, although not loaded unless you're going to use it. But wait! Order now and we'll include ...

Yeah I perused the web site. Looks pretty good. You've piqued my interest enough that I will give emacs a try someday.

Quote:
Of course, it's only for keyboard-oriented people, not pointy-clicky people like yourself, who know better than to fall for the illusion of speed that keyboard-oriented user interfaces create. :P

Stop baiting me. :lol:
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Yeah I perused the web site. Looks pretty good. You've piqued my interest enough that I will give emacs a try someday.

Quote:

Stop baiting me. :lol:

It is nice for simple todo lists I'm trying to get into the habit of setting up todo lists for my code so it helps to have this kind of thing available in my environment of choice. (Without annotating the source code itself with todo items.) I am trying to comprehend how to set up dependent tasks but I'm not quite understanding how the dependency mechanism works in Org.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a couple more days of exploration, I'm currently wondering to what extent this is even comprehensible. It seems like most people are using a few little pieces of it.

It seems like getting this most out of emacs would require developing a fairly in-depth understanding of how it works, as well as elisp. While it does a myriad of things out of the box, most users heavily modify it There are users creating their own extensions and customization on top of extensions and customization which are their own organized, collaborative projects, on top of extensions and customization which have their own communities a decade or more old, on top of the base product, which is regularly incorporating pieces of all the above.

I can't imagine what the use-case diagram would look like for this. It would cover the floor of an arena. It took me two days (of a couple hours each day) just to wade through the info docs for the base product. :lol:

I'm now calling it "a keyboard-oriented integrated development and productivity suite".

By the way, apparently somebody has created an "org-mode" for Vim, mimicking some of the same kind of capability.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
After a couple more days of exploration, I'm currently wondering to what extent this is even comprehensible. It seems like most people are using a few little pieces of it.

It seems like getting this most out of emacs would require developing a fairly in-depth understanding of how it works, as well as elisp. While it does a myriad of things out of the box, most users heavily modify it There are users creating their own extensions and customization on top of extensions and customization which are their own organized, collaborative projects, on top of extensions and customization which have their own communities a decade or more old, on top of the base product, which is regularly incorporating pieces of all the above.

I can't imagine what the use-case diagram would look like for this. It would cover the floor of an arena. It took me two days (of a couple hours each day) just to wade through the info docs for the base product. :lol:

I'm now calling it "a keyboard-oriented integrated development and productivity suite".

By the way, apparently somebody has created an "org-mode" for Vim, mimicking some of the same kind of capability.
I'm reminded of an essay I read about a year ago that said that Lisps were too powerful. I think Emacs may prove the author's thesis on some level. Emacs is a never ending journey.

*protip The negative argument can save you a few keystrokes. Say for example that you forgot to capitalize the todo keyword in an org file, with negative-argument (C-- or M-- or C-M--) you can have upcase-word (M-u) operate on the word to the left of the cursor. Find more here in case I didn't already post this:http://www.masteringemacs.org/articles/2011/01/14/effective-editing-movement/

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm trying to find an up to date source of information.

Edit: Great. The first thing out of his mouth is another highly recommended mode to use. :lol:

All these new key bindings are pushing valuable information off my stack; I'm screwing up in my keyboard-driven window manager and keyboard-driven web browser now. :lol:

Edit2: Now he's saying things I recall hearing from my Tae Kwon Do instructor and my Zen mentor:
Quote:
I’ve been using Emacs for a long time and I still learn new ways of doing things faster; but ultimately it is tenacity and persistence that will pay off in the long run.

Too bad at the end of the day it doesn't eliminate verbal redundancy eventually.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Now he's saying things I recall hearing from my Tae Kwon Do instructor and my Zen mentor:
Quote:
I’ve been using Emacs for a long time and I still learn new ways of doing things faster; but ultimately it is tenacity and persistence that will pay off in the long run.
lol

Be formless, shapeless—like water. You put water in a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water in a bottle; it becomes the bottle. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Jeet Kun Do. Bruce Lee stuff.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
I am trying to comprehend how to set up dependent tasks but I'm not quite understanding how the dependency mechanism works in Org.
AFAIK you do that by making dependent tasks subtrees of the parent task. You can also set some variables so that org-mode evaluates these dependencies in a stricter way, e.g. when adding a [1/3] or [50%]display or that you can't set a task DONE unless all subtasks are DONE.

BK, it's not the power of list that's enslaving you, it's your perfectionism ;)
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are still talking about TEXT EDITORS, right?
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes marens, whoever doesn't appreciate helpful editor macros for getting stuff done faster can use cat or ed if they prefer.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:

you latex in vim and don't use vimlatex?

@BK: a man's home is his castle.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: