Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is python v3.2 fully stable for upgrading?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Is python v3.2 fully stable for upgrading? Reply with quote

I was doing a entire system / world update on my gentoo workstation. Last update might have been 6-8 months. One of my packages stopped emerging because I didnt have python3.2 as my selected version.

Is moving to python 3.2 now safe and the generally accepted stable version? I read in an old post that v3 was not fully safe for the world update. Before I update to this version I wanted to check.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-921776-highlight-python.html
this post indicates that its it not, but at the bottom I would get the feeling its ok to do so now.
Always thirsting.
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is safe to have Python 3.2 installed. It may or may not be safe to have it as your primary Python for the system, depending on what packages you install and whether they have been ported.
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
It is safe to have Python 3.2 installed. It may or may not be safe to have it as your primary Python for the system, depending on what packages you install and whether they have been ported.

3.2 is installed, however, it still failed the package. I ended up eselecting 3.2, but then I got to wondering how to deal with this. I still havent ran python-updater. I can set it back to 2.7. Trying to decide how to move forward. it appears I have at least one package that wants it as primary, and others that may not.

Whats the best way for dealing with a dual version issue? I saw reference to having a way to setting a package to use 3.2 specifically and leaving the rest alone. Or, just biting the bullet and setting packages that fail to 2.7 one at a time.
Always thirsting.
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went ahead and chose 3.2 primary and ran python-updater. re-emerged -e and all went clean. I guess its good so far.
Always thirsting.
gabrielg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at least one computer running only 3.2 and all is well, and another running it as primary with 2.7 for other applications. It really depends on what you use that is made in python. moinmoin, for instance, doesn't like 3.2 (yet).

If you scripted anything in <3, 2to3 is your friend and so on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: