Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
People do not need much of processing power....... BUT as of the current time, the prices of the higher end needs to reduce to meet requirements. 1GHz & dual core is powerful enough for everyone; but for gamers we need a powerful GPU too... that's what's more important.

That's almost true. I've got an Athlon 3250e in my desktop right now (two core, 1.5GHz and TDP just a bit above 20W). It's great as long as I don't open facebook - it's such a freaking JS hog :evil:
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
disi wrote:
ARM reminds me a little of AMD Duron (I had the 800MHz running at ~1GHz) :)

They hit the 1GHz and then there was no way to increase clock speeds without burning the CPU, so they came out with Athlon (neverwind Pentium back then, it was stuck on PII or PIII I think) which was a huge step in x86. Not mentioning 64bit support with Barten then etc. :)

Nope, Duron always was to Athlon what Celeron had been to Pentium. Barton was just a last generation Athlon core with more cache during Northwood era, solid, but underperforming. 64 Bit didn't arrive before Athlon 64 in 2003.

I read that on wikipedia as well and it confused me, since I know what hardware I bought back then...
ak47gen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the reason the company is doing so bad is because of poor upper management choices. The got ride of the lead System Architect for the K8 series. Also they sold a very promising side of ATI called Imageon when they merge. Seems they keep shooting themselves in the foot.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
disi wrote:

They hit the 1GHz and then there was no way to increase clock speeds without burning the CPU, so they came out with Athlon (neverwind Pentium back then, it was stuck on PII or PIII I think) which was a huge step in x86. Not mentioning 64bit support with Barten then etc. :)

Nope, Duron always was to Athlon what Celeron had been to Pentium. Barton was just a last generation Athlon core with more cache during Northwood era, solid, but underperforming. 64 Bit didn't arrive before Athlon 64 in 2003.
That is not in the x86-PC market. DEC's Alpha processor is a 64-bit processor which hit the market more than a decade before the appearance of the AMD Athlon 64. Even the Intel Itanium came out 2 years before the Althon 64. But, men of honour make bad decisions.

AMD used to develop its own processor family, which was quite interesting at the time it showed up. Too bad they did not pursue their own development further.

The good thing about the x86-architecture is that there are plenty of opportunities to improve its design for a long time to go. That is the nice form of "what a piece of shit".
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
genstorm wrote:
disi wrote:

That is not in the x86-PC market.

Which is exactly how it was meant. ;)
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:

flysideways wrote:
It'll be a monitor with a dock for your cellphone and a wireless keyboard.

You mean this?

Exactly. Unfortunately it seems to not yet be available.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be curious to see a non-Ubuntu implementation. If it ever sees the light of day.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Yes, thats because consumers buy cheap, pay double. Worse, lots of people have no clue how to treat their stuff so that it won't break in record time - I guess that comes with throwaway prices. No signs of age on my 4 yr old ThinkPad.

I'm not sure about thinkpad (IBM back then), but reliability of Dell and Acer is horrible.
Quote:

There do exist covers that also serve as stands.

And when you push buttons on the touch screen, they fall apart, or the tablet shifts a foot back. And with a stand, that it's too heavy and there's no keyboard even. But wait -- if you do bundle a keyboard, you made a laptop off it; but a laptop with a touchscreen is a failure -- specially after deltoids workouts.

pjp wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
SSH, VNC etc...?
VNC should die. ssh is useful, but I don't see how any of them are going to do anything even remotely (no pun intended) close to what I was describing.

This's all about streaming an application's display output to another, larger screen. So HDMI, USB (keyboard/mice support) will be required.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: