View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Opera browser localization quirk Reply with quote

I have followed all Gentoo manuals on localizing the system and ultimately with great success it seems. Yet I managed to discover one thing that is not working as intended. I am using Opera as my main browser. One of many great features it offers is integration of search engines inside address bar. For example you can type 'g Gentoo' to make a quick google search of 'Gentoo'. You can even define your own searches with appropriate keywords. One of the searches I had to create manually was google maps - I found it handy to just type 'm city-name' in order to get the distance in km from my home.

The problem is with my local language characters. When I type 'g Kraków' I get a 'Kaków' search and everything works fine. But when I type 'm Kraków' I get 'krak?w' search. It is strange because:
1. It works ok when I type the very same thing inside google maps search bar instead of browser address bar.
2. It works ok under big-bad-OS.
Can anyone hint whether this is my system issue, linux issue, opera issue or google maps issue?

My system is Gentoo on VirtualBox running Xfce4 environment. This is the exact command line I use for this search:
Code:
http://maps.google.pl/maps?f=d&saddr=rzesz﷐C3﷐B3w&daddr=%s
Notice those unrecognized characters instead of % signs. THEY work as intended despite this. So I suspect my localization is not as 100% system-wide as I belived.

Last edited by Walen on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe its just font fail? go to preferences ->advanced -> fonts and set browser toolbar fonts to some supporting UTF-8 ? ( maybe also set polish language in general options if u haven't set yet )

edit: I made some simpler script, just to show google maps
in opera options is just http://maps.google.pl/maps?q=%s
it redirects me to https://maps.google.pl/maps?q=rzesz%C3%B3w

so in all I suppose your script redirecting to google is bad also ( seems second %s was unrevelead )
Walen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent so much time tweaking settings on system level that I seem to have missed the most obvious opera level ones. It seems the problem was generated (as usual) by myself. I want both Opera UI and default web page language in english but with full local charset support. Because of that I had appropriate english settings under Opera. Changing locale to polish under Opera and manually editing the command line with % chars displays what I wanted in the first place (proper search results). This is probably because of my locale.gen:
Code:
en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
pl_PL ISO-8859-2
pl_PL.UTF-8 UTF-8
I suspect setting ISO-8859-2 for english and regenerating locales will get me both english interface and proper char support at the same time. Anyway problem solved, back to tweaking system-wide again.

BTW is there a reason to use ISO-8859 settings at all if I want my system to be unicode?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: