View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: [Obama Era] MPAA/RIAA Can Now Turn Off Your Internet Reply with quote

It's called the "Six Strikes Program", and it goes into effect early this coming year.

It was originally scheduled to be put into effect just after the election, but now it's going to be early 2013. What it amounts to is this: if the MPAA or RIAA notices you violating copyright protection, they notify your ISP. Each time you get a "strike", incrementally worse things happen to you. It might start off with a nasty note from the ISP, then progress to bandwidth throttling, then progress to your access being temporarily suspended, etc., etc.

You are supposed to think this is good news, as it is a "market-oriented" alternative to the big government regulation such as:
- the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act, signed into law by Clinton in 1998);
- creation of the NIPRCC (National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center (anti-piracy police, Clinton, 1998);
- the PRO-IP Act(Prioritizing Resources and Organization for Intellectual Property Act, signed into Law by Bush in 2008);
- creation of Cabinet post: "Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator" and associated "Advisory Committees" (Copyright Czar, Obama, 2009);
- the TPP (Trans-Pacific Economic Partnership, Treaty by Obama, 2012),

... and more big government regulation either recently proposed or pending consideration (and supported by the Administration, although they have tried to make it look like they are against such things), such as:
- the COICA (Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act), 2010),
- the SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act, 2011),
- the PIPA (Protect IP Act, 2011).
- the CFSA (Commercial Felony Streaming Act)

A preferable alternative or not, I say we have entered the age of the Bit Nazis.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think "Nazi" is proper term, tho technically, when private and corporate entities have power over government and legislation, it is called fascism. What we have is governments doing their thing, making people go "Moooo", except with internet, there is nowhere to hide.

Yes, there are lot of loonies and conspiracy theorists, but there is enough of good information that cognitive dissonance takes place.

So they have to shut it down and control it. Dominator mentality. All under a pretense of protecting some copyright law.

Corporations, that human primates have created, have now become more powerful than human primates themselves, and the only thing that could make the said monkeys aware of that fact, is internet.

Last edited by Prenj on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wave of hand*

This is the Hope & Change you wanted. Pay no attention to the erosion of your liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this really a partisan issue? I don't see most Republicans fighting this.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

What's the difference? They are all actors on a payroll.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

Not really; they're in on it too. However, it's interesting to see that the supposedly "liberal" and "progressive" Democrats are the main actors pushing this stuff along from the government side.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

What's the difference? They are all actors on a payroll.

The difference is that they are sponsored by entities I disagree with less.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point here isn't so much the politics of it, it's that the ISPs are now going to be harassing you, if you're somebody who downloads pirated software or content. They'll be coming right up on your screen with a "Big Brother is Watching" thing that you have to acknowledge to make it go away, and they'll slow down your connection or cut it off entirely for a while.

Next they'll be charging people with crimes (felonies, even). Then you'll have a criminal record, and depending on where you live, you'll have to submit to finger-printing, having your mugshot taken, and being genetically sampled for the national Big Brother genetic database.
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
The point here isn't so much the politics of it, it's that the ISPs are now going to be harassing you, if you're somebody who downloads pirated software or content. They'll be coming right up on your screen with a "Big Brother is Watching" thing that you have to acknowledge to make it go away, and they'll slow down your connection or cut it off entirely for a while.
Doesn't help that ISP's that refuse to comply get their public routable IP ranges blackholed.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

land of the free, home of the brave :lol:
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah, liberal hippie land usa! Others only get three strikes, how much more liberty do you need?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marens wrote:
bah, liberal hippie land usa! Others only get three strikes, how much more liberty do you need?

It's not as though the US courts can't bankrupt citizens for illegal downloads, throttling their bandwidth is not really in the same league of punishment.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Next they'll be charging people with crimes (felonies, even). Then you'll have a criminal record
And you won't be able to get a decent job, thereby "needing" an Obamaphone, which has an exemption.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need is more government. More regulations. More taxes.

That will make everything better.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you complain? all you government haters should be orgasmic.

Instead of pestering that annoying government assholes like judges or the judical system in general, corporations will deal with you filthy wrong doer all by themselves. No need for government.

This is what you get without government: corporations fucking you over and over and over.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
why do you complain? all you government haters should be orgasmic.

Instead of pestering that annoying government assholes like judges or the judical system in general, corporations will deal with you filthy wrong doer all by themselves. No need for government.

This is what you get without government: corporations fucking you over and over and over.

In US, government and corporations are not separated. Government is agent of corporate, so more or less of it makes no difference. What is needed is government that is removed from corporate and the elite, and that has never been the case over there.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It baffles me how evil corporations have come to be marked. Boeing, McDonnell, and the Douglas Corporation are main reasons we have commercial airlines in today's world. Microsoft made it possible for the average citizen to afford a working, personal computer. Ford brought cars to commoners.

If you want to discuss special interests, why don't you look at the kind of influence various labor and environmental groups have.

EDIT: Or the NRA, for that matter.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
It baffles me how evil corporations have come to be marked. Boeing, McDonnell, and the Douglas Corporation are main reasons we have commercial airlines in today's world. Microsoft made it possible for the average citizen to afford a working, personal computer. Ford brought cars to commoners.

If you want to discuss special interests, why don't you look at the kind of influence various labor and environmental groups have.

Because there is biological, empathical and if you want spiritual reality to mankind that superceeds trinkets. If that aspect is not observed and respected, we are gone. Capitalism suffers from same disease that communism did, it treats human beings as objects, which is not reality of things, and is therefore doom to fail.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEWSFLASH: People fundamentally seek to serve their own self interest.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

To a minor degree, only the mentally ill or the brainwashed would continue undermining the interests of others once you're secure in your survival and reproducibility.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

To a minor degree, only the mentally ill or the brainwashed would continue undermining the interests of others once you're secure in your survival and reproducibility.

Heh. That depends on your values. :lol:
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Heh. That depends on your values. :lol:

Like I said, brainwashed.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

TRUE; therefore, it would be in your own self-interest to remember that serving elite is not the same as being elite. If shit hits the fan, and your corporate overlords call upon your military ass, would you shoot at people on behalf of suits? What makes you think that is in your interest?
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

ahahahahahaha

oh god, you are so brain washed. I would like you to look up Junkers for airplanes, Apple, Commodore and Acorn for computers.

Boeing and Douglas aren't the reasons for commercial ailines today. They are THE reasons why the airline industry is so heavily regulated. Because their cost cutting, bad quality killed countless people.
MS made nothing possible. There were plenty of computers who run systems not from MS that were more userfriendly and/or more powerfull even before their crap dominated the market. Without IBM's help, MS would still be a small software house producing basic interpreters.

That leaves us with Ford (without mentioning assembly lines he did not event).

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
That leaves us with Ford (without mentioning assembly lines he did not event).

At least Ford admitted as much:
Henry Ford wrote:
I invented nothing new. I simply assembled the discoveries of other men behind whom were centuries of work. Had I worked fifty or ten or even five years before, I would have failed. So it is with every new thing. Progress happens when all the factors that make for it are ready and then it is inevitable. To teach that a comparatively few men are responsible for the greatest forward steps of mankind is the worst sort of nonsense.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: