Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
why some recent ebuilds removed from the tree?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shin938
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: why some recent ebuilds removed from the tree? Reply with quote

when synching portage tree (I usually do it with eix-sync) some ebuilds are removed from the tree. ok , I understand you can't keep ebuilds forever but sometimes very recent ebuilds are removed, take for example app-text/evince,
I have version 3.2.1-r1 installed which is quite recent, with the last update I did there are only versions 2.32.0-r4^t ~3.4.0^t , I can guess its aligned with gnome versions, but I still use gnome 3.2 and if I for some reason want to re-merge version 3.2.1-r1 I can't because there is no ebuild.
why did this happen?
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have this version installed, the ebuild is in directory /var/db/pkg/app-text/evince-3.2.1-r1/. With a properly set up overlay you should be able to do the trick. If any patches are necessary and they are no longer in Portage, it gets more difficult, but I guess if your ebuild was deleted not so long ago, you can still find a Portage snapshot that contains these files on one of numerous Gentoo mirrors.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=app-text/evince-3.2.1-r1 was not marked stable, so once a newer version was available, no further users would install 3.2.1-r1 without a version specification or a package mask. Thus, it was removed. You can retrieve old ebuilds from the attic, which may be easier than extracting them from old Portage snapshots.
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's true. Here it is.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: