Not Sure If I Should Be in the Chrooted Environment
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ts1971
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Not Sure If I Should Be in the Chrooted Environment Reply with quote

Hi,

I am working my way through a gentoo install and I am on step 9 - Installing Necessary System Tools. Things were going smashing when all of the sudden I happened to notice that according to my prompt I am no longer in the chrooted environment. Is this wrong? Did I inadvertently exit the chrooted environment at some point? I admit that I don't understand a lot of this process and am doing it mostly by rote but it is what it is. I don't want to bother setting up the bootloader if I've already fudged it up and I've been putting things in the wrong place.

Help?

Thanks

-ts1971
ts1971
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I just switched to a different terminal (I'm using the rescuecd) and what I see when I do ls -l is different that what I see in the terminal in which I'm working through the installation. So I'm hoping that I am still in the chrooted environment and one of the steps at some point simply overwrite the value of PS1.

Sorry for this silliness, but it's late and I only have half a clue.

-ts1971
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easiest way to tell - unless you removed your stage3 or portage .tar.bz2's, look for them

there may be a more scientific way, but this works for me.

if my downloaded portage tarball is under / then i am in the chroot
if my downloaded portage tarball is under /mnt/gentoo then i am not in the chroot
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you should be. You can check that by checking if /mnt/gentoo exits. You can do that like this: ls /mnt/gentoo If you have not rebooted simply repeat the chrooting commands, otherwise you will need to mount your partitions again first.

You can check if you need to install your tools by running emerge -pv <foo> where <foo> is a package you are unsure about. It should be flaged with an R if it was installed and an N otherwise.

Heads up, you may want to fetch the source for xorg, fluxbox, eterm, and wicd (or networkmanager) before you reboot. That will save you from setting up a commandline network in your new install. You can do it like this: emerge --fetchonly xorg-server fluxbox eterm wicd. You can then install them in your new system without a network.

I would install fluxbox no matter what window manager you intend to use because its light and you can use it when you break your primary window manager.

EDIT: I see I was beaten to the post.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
ts1971
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cach0rr0 and Doctor. When I list the contents of / I DO see the stage3 snapshot and /mnt/gentoo doesn't exist so I guess that I am still chrooted. It's strange though that '(chroot)' disappeared as part of my prompt. I guess one of the steps overwrites that variable. This is my second time through the installation process in the last month. I suspect that by the 10th or 11th I may actually figure out what I'm doing.

Thanks again.

-ts1971
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prompt (PS1) is usually set in /etc/bash/bashrc (grep for PS1 in /etc/bash/bashrc).
Probably you either sourced it directly or run something like ". /etc/profile" which then might change your prompt accordingly to the given settings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: