View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Two US states legalize recreational marijuana Reply with quote

Who gives a fuck about the presidency? That's just a sideshow for the rubes. In Colorado and Washington, voters have ended marijuana prohibition and legalized it for recreational use. Heroic!
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, just answer me this: Do you smoke?
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh, it's time to move.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local news interviewed the Republican DA or AG (I forget who/what he was). The guy was too grinny and seemed to think it could cause nothing but trouble. Uhm, hello!?!? Your bosses just told you what the law was going to be. That means it is very simple. It is legal. Now go worry about real crime.

Oh, and legalizing the stuff has almost zero impact to my life, while continuing the Obama economy has a direct impact. So, yeah. Who cares about the presidency. 8O

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Two US states legalize recreational marijuana Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Who gives a fuck about the presidency? That's just a sideshow for the rubes. In Colorado and Washington, voters have ended marijuana prohibition and legalized it for recreational use. Heroic!

maybe canada can follow suit now. All sorts of threats from the DOJ years ago when canada talked about it. now they have fish to fry in their own backyard.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Local news interviewed the Republican DA or AG (I forget who/what he was). The guy was too grinny and seemed to think it could cause nothing but trouble. Uhm, hello!?!? Your bosses just told you what the law was going to be. That means it is very simple. It is legal. Now go worry about real crime.

Oh, and legalizing the stuff has almost zero impact to my life, while continuing the Obama economy has a direct impact. So, yeah. Who cares about the presidency. 8O

i dunno. it may bring some sanity into your crazy justice system. you spend crazy amounts on housing non-violent offenders. a penny saved is a penny earned.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news.
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that some states are fighting back against the absurdity of the DEA making pot a schedule I controlled substance. That said, I still think that Pot smokers are morons. :P Bunch of, lazy ass, psuedo-intellectuals with oddly large egos. Yes, yes, you'll change the world with your amazing mind... as soon as your lazy ass stops smoking that shit, gets off the couch, and puts some effort into something other than finding more pot and junk food.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that is a big generalization. They all watch Jon Stewart too :lol:

California didn't pass a thingy (whatever they are called) to abolish the death penalty. booooooooooo.

maryland, maine and washington to allow same sex marriage. that's just gay. :lol: congratulations on joining this century.
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops.

Good luck with that.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
you spend crazy amounts on housing non-violent offenders. a penny saved is a penny earned.
It should be a penny saved, a penny returned.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all the guys who smoked weed during the war don't have PTSD as much as "straight" ones. Just sayin'.
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Two US states legalize recreational marijuana Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:

And Oregon didn't. personally in both Oregon and Washington, most of my friends were against it because it hurts the (then) current laws. for instance if Oregon had passed it, those under 18 with a medical marijuana card would have had that revoked, despite having had it issued by a doctor.

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

I can't inhale smoke. Every time I've tried I can't figure out how to do it. It's like if someone told you to put your head under water and breathe. You sort of know how to do it, but your body doesn't let you.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Two US states legalize recreational marijuana Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:
if Oregon had passed it, those under 18 with a medical marijuana card would have had that revoked, despite having had it issued by a doctor.
Is that deliberate? Seems easy enough to do 18+ medical / 21+ recreational. That said, I doubt there are many at 18 who need it for medical reasons.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
notageek wrote:

I can't inhale smoke. Every time I've tried I can't figure out how to do it. It's like if someone told you to put your head under water and breathe. You sort of know how to do it, but your body doesn't let you.

it's pretty easy. You KNOW you want to :lol:
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egjactly!

:lol:
dwbowyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Washington. I'll be happy to go to my friends weddings and celebrate in style. Washington Wedding Brownies FTW!
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Two US states legalize recreational marijuana Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:
dmitchell wrote:

And Oregon didn't. personally in both Oregon and Washington, most of my friends were against it because it hurts the (then) current laws. for instance if Oregon had passed it, those under 18 with a medical marijuana card would have had that revoked, despite having had it issued by a doctor.

NQS

What was the issue with Washington? Nothing in the measure affected medical marijuana users. All it did was regulate marijuana like it was alcohol: must be over 21, don't drive under its influence, don't sell near schools/kids/etc, and tax the hell out of it.

The only ads I saw against the measure were put in my medical marijuana dispensaries to protect their racket.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a recount, the amendment passed in my county by only 10 votes.

And of course the typical sky is falling reactions are commonplace. They're apparently expecting everyone to become ganja zombies.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's very close. How many votes in your county?
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nifty, but mostly irrelevant. Obama has been busting down doors on medical marijuana dispensaries in California like Dubya never did. It just means local cops will just be passing info to the DEA instead of doing the drug busts themselves.

I'm still a little confused about how the federal government can ban marijuana that's grown, sold, and consumed without ever crossing state lines. This applies to wheat allegedly because wheat is a commodity whose price is still influenced by non-state line crossing commerce. But the outright prohibition on marijuana means there is no commerce for the federal government to regulate.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Wow, that's very close. How many votes in your county?

Apparently I misinterpreted or misheard the TV news. It wasn't a recount.

Quote:
El Paso County had a record turnout of 292,698 voters — up from 274,707 in 2008 — and 283,382 voted on Amendment 64. Only the race for president attracted more voters in the county.

County Clerk and Recorder Wayne Williams, who posted official results at 6:08 p.m. Tuesday, said the 10-vote differential on Amendment 64 “would be a mandatory recount if it was a county issue but since it’s a state issue, it doesn’t matter.”

Williams’ election team counted 15,953 additional ballots since Nov. 6, and 13,990 of those made a choice on Amendment 64, with 62 percent in favor.

Of the more than 15,000 ballots counted since Nov. 6, 9,741 were provisional ballots. The rest were overseas, military and mail ballots.

But here's the kicker, and a demonstration of the demonspawn running amok around here.
Quote:
County commissioners unanimously passed a resolution opposing the amendment before the election. Amy Lathen, county commission chairwoman, said part of the issue isn’t settled yet. Amendment 64 includes a provision “permitting local governments to regulate or prohibit such facilities.”

“This board will hear a resolution to ban retail sales in the county,” she said. “(Colorado Springs) City Council has the ability to ban retail sales too. I hope they do that.”

Voters say yes, but they ignore voters and do what they want. Years ago voters said no to a new ~$30m jail. County commissioners said we're doing it anyway and used a different method to raise the money (I forget the details).

Great weather. Great views. But the place is crawling with the bat guano insane.

http://www.gazette.com/news/amendment-147566-paso-county.html

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about the county and local part, I hadn't realized that.

It's better that way, IMO. The more local the decision, the better.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
Interesting about the county and local part, I hadn't realized that.

It's better that way, IMO. The more local the decision, the better.
I agree. But when voters say yes and local politicians ignore it*, that is less "local."

* Technically they haven't yet, but the pre-election vote suggested they have every intention of doing so.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: