Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SOLVED: wireless only install. wpa_supplicant issues.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zazzman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: SOLVED: wireless only install. wpa_supplicant issues. Reply with quote

So, I can't really even download the stage3 tarball or the portage tree yet, I'm booting from the minimal install disc.

Its an atheros card, so the first thing I do is
Code:
modprobe ath
, as the module is present. No output is presented when I do this.

contents of the /etc/wpa.conf file:
Code:

#ap_scan=0
/* uncommenting causes wpa_supplicant to return an error about how the driver is not returning an ssid*/

network={
        ssid="myssid"
        psk="mypsk"
        priority=5
}

when I use the command
Code:
wpa_supplicant -D nl80211,ath,madwifi -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa.conf
ifconfig and iwconfig show it attaching to the network almost immediately, which the router verifies. However, the router isn't assigning an IP address to it, as the router verifies. While I do have access to the router, changing the encryption scheme becomes problematic as there are a number of other users on this network. Readmitting them all to the network with WEP instead of WPA-PSK would be incredibly time-intensive.

Also, I have yet to find a way to use wpa_cli without it returning an error where it "cannot connect to wpa_supplicant".

Strangely enough, LiveCDs don't allow for the kind of privilege escalation necessary to follow through with downloading a tarball to the hard drive. Is this universal among liveCDs?

Last edited by Zazzman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother. Use the system rescue CD. Wireless networking using the Gentoo min is basically hopeless.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazzman wrote:

Strangely enough, LiveCDs don't allow for the kind of privilege escalation necessary to follow through with downloading a tarball to the hard drive. Is this universal among liveCDs?

they should. either your partition was mounted in a screwy way, or, you simply needed to sudo su - before going to work.

The Doctor wrote:
Don't bother. Use the system rescue CD. Wireless networking using the Gentoo min is basically hopeless.

++
seconded
Zazzman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
Zazzman wrote:

they should. either your partition was mounted in a screwy way, or, you simply needed to sudo su - before going to work.

Well, I learned something today; the Ubuntu disc is useless, and the Fedora disc wasn't terribly useful.

cach0rr0 wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

++
seconded
Yeah, banging my head against the wall for *hours* on that wasn't fun. This connects to the network easily enough, and the hard drive access is painless.

Thanks guys! So far, so good!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: