View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small question about /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs, does the behavior is similar to /var/tmp/portage on disk when it comes to compilation failures? e.g. logs are still available?

also, will 6gb be enough? I thinking of moving /var/tmp/portage to ram but as my wife uses win7 with 10gb of ram, I don't want to run out of ram (got 16gb of ram and 16 gb of swap).

Thanks.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
I have a small question about /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs, does the behavior is similar to /var/tmp/portage on disk when it comes to compilation failures? e.g. logs are still available?

The behavior should be identical until the machine is powered off. I don't see why it would be different, since a tmpfs looks the same to Portage as any conventional filesystem.

Quote:
also, will 6gb be enough? I thinking of moving /var/tmp/portage to ram but as my wife uses win7 with 10gb of ram, I don't want to run out of ram (got 16gb of ram and 16 gb of swap).

You mean your wife runs Win7 in a VM? It depends how large of a package you want to compile. Chromium, Firefox, Thunderbird and open/libreoffice take over 3GB; I don't know of another package that takes even 1GB.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's very odd that most apps don't get anywhere close to filling tmpfs. The only application that fails to build on my 2GB (1GB Tmpfs) system is firefox (since Libreoffice I use binaries). I suspect gcc and glibc are up there too but I don't ever recalling them fail to build. I typically hook up an external USB disk to build firefox on my eeepc that has 2GB RAM.

So far, as of right now, only my 8GB machine can build firefox completely in RAM, thus the 180G SSD520 disk gets write savings. The 128G Crucial is in a 4G machine and it however is not enough to build firefox. But I just disable tmpfs and let it use as much ssd to build firefox.

This leads to another issue, I sometimes wish Gentoo didn't build into a temp area then copy to root...that's a lot of extra writes... but I suppose there's no way to get around this and maintain ability to back out of changes...
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

The behavior should be identical until the machine is powered off. I don't see why it would be different, since a tmpfs looks the same to Portage as any conventional filesystem.

Quote:

You mean your wife runs Win7 in a VM? It depends how large of a package you want to compile. Chromium, Firefox, Thunderbird and open/libreoffice take over 3GB; I don't know of another package that takes even 1GB.

yes, my wife runs Win7 in a VM.

if I'm not mistaken, libreoffice checks for minimal amount of ram, not sure how much.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
gcc will easily take close to 2G, and gcc with fortran enabled will take more than 2G.
logical_guy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at my filesystem, I have /tmp in tmpfs. Also, /usr/tmp is symlinked to /var/tmp, which is again symlinked to /tmp/.

Is this normal or did I do something I shouldn't have.. lol.

Guess that means /var/tmp, including /var/tmp/portage is already in RAM.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka,

I'll go with your figures since I have not emerged gcc recently.

logical_guy,

I think that's problematic, as the "portage" subdir will disappear every time you reboot. I would put /var/tmp/portage on a separate tmpfs.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logical_guy wrote:
/usr/tmp is symlinked to /var/tmp, which is again symlinked to /tmp/.

The first link is fine, the second does not conform to FHS: /var/tmp is supposed to live over reboots while /tmp is supposed to be cleaned on every boot.
logical_guy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
logical_guy wrote:
/usr/tmp is symlinked to /var/tmp, which is again symlinked to /tmp/.

The first link is fine, the second does not conform to FHS: /var/tmp is supposed to live over reboots while /tmp is supposed to be cleaned on every boot.

Yeah, thanks for that. I've corrected it now. I have /var/tmp/portage in tmpfs now, should I throw /tmp in as well?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: