Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Gentoo install on a secondary drive.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SProkofiev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: New Gentoo install on a secondary drive. Reply with quote

This may be an unusual post, but, but have purchased a new SATA drive. MY current drive is also a SATA, but I would like to build
a new Gentoo installation. The economy in the States has been very hard on me as many people, and to build a new Linux
box is going to be a slow process due to cost.

When I built my current Linux Box I did not plan well my partitioning and I'm running out of space which leads me start a new build.
I would like to include LVM. I'm not sure I really need it, but the exercise would be a good one for future. But because I have just one computer
I wondered if I might install the new drive as a secondary drive and then build Gentoo on it and continue to use the machine without interruption.
I use multiple partitions, /usr, /var, /, /tmp, /opt, /home.

My next mainboard will be multi-core as I've become more interested in video and audio editing, which also leads to need for better use of disk space.
Of course, the separate /usr has become a problem due to changes in udev. (I understand the reasons for this better thanks to one of the developers
and I do support these changes.)

In a nutshell I'd like to build the Gentoo on a disk, that will be ready when I am able to acquire a new mainboard and box. Of course, there will be
some fine tuning at that time.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just install chroot (and lvm2) in your current install if you have not already done so and you will have everything you need. You may want to use disk labels in your fstab for constant naming reasons and you can use your current boot loader to choose between the two installs.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
SProkofiev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: New Gentoo install on a secondary drive. Reply with quote

That's great! I have not used disk labels, but I am aware of it and see it as a good way to go. Thanks for
response! It's greatly appreciated.

(Here is one another reason my switch to Gentoo was such a good idea! It's been painful at times, but the learning
experience has been incredible. I think my time in university cost more and gave me less for my money.)

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: