tracking mouse and keyboard usage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: tracking mouse and keyboard usage Reply with quote

On the way to doing more with less, I'd like to continue to improve my working, but to do so, I need to identify problematic structures/workflows. Thus I thought about tracking my usage of mouse and keyboard and so maybe finding ways to optimize it. I'm thinking about using even more shortcuts, write more scripts/macros, maybe even change applications for specific tasks, etc.

So I'd need something hooking into X11/WM to track mouse movements & clicks and keypresses, which should be logged and can later be analyzed. Ideally, I could break it down at least to a per-windows/application view, so maybe I see that I'm mousing way to much in my browser or repeating something over and over in my editor, etc.

Somebody knows a tool like this?
Splooshie123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:
Code:
x11-apps/xev
      Latest version available: 1.2.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 119 kB
      Homepage:      http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
      Description:   print contents of X events
      License:       MIT
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't follow, how is a small window printing my events when the cursor is on it helping me? Or did xev get an update in the last 10 years I don't know about?
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this gets you the events, which you should be abe to divert into a file:
Code:
$ xinput list
$ xinput test <id>

No idea how to identify the origin window. I kind of hope there isn't a way. :?

Ran across this here
Splooshie123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@avx: It also reports keyboard events when the window is active. According to the man page, you can capture events from an existing window instead of creating a new one.

@wjb: That looks much better than my suggestion. Oh well. Learn something new every day.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: tracking mouse and keyboard usage Reply with quote

avx wrote:
On the way to doing more with less, I'd like to continue to improve my working, but to do so, I need to identify problematic structures/workflows. Thus I thought about tracking my usage of mouse and keyboard and so maybe finding ways to optimize it. I'm thinking about using even more shortcuts, write more scripts/macros, maybe even change applications for specific tasks, etc.

So I'd need something hooking into X11/WM to track mouse movements & clicks and keypresses, which should be logged and can later be analyzed. Ideally, I could break it down at least to a per-windows/application view, so maybe I see that I'm mousing way to much in my browser or repeating something over and over in my editor, etc.

Somebody knows a tool like this?

I knew a guy that monitored keystrokes and mouse movements with mrtg and snmp.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: