Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anyone using Horde ActiveSync on a Galaxy S2/3 phone?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Anyone using Horde ActiveSync on a Galaxy S2/3 phone? Reply with quote

Hi y'all,

So I just upgraded my home mail setup to Horde 5, and with the inevitable teething troubles out of the way, I notice that this version supports Email sync using ActiveSync. I'm in two minds about starting to mess with a setup that works, so I'm just giving a shout in case anyone on here has experience with this sort of setup.

Currently I'm using Horde's ActiveSync capabilities to sync my calendar and contacts with my Galaxy S3, and it's worked well. For the actual email I just configured the builtin IMAP client to use the same IMAP and SMTP servers that the Horde install is using (those are all on my home server and WAN-accessible).

Now what I'm wondering is how exactly it works if I opt to use ActiveSync instead for the email part. Does this mean that all comms between the server and phone happen over HTTP(S), including sending/receiving mail? If not, what is it really doing that normal IMAP and SMTP accounts aren't doing for me already?

Another question is, would it actually work at all in my context, since the domain of my mailserver (at home) isn't the address domain I'll be sending mail from? (What happens atm is my local postfix instance authenticates with and sends via the server for the actual sending domain.) From looking at the S3's Exchange Server settings, I can't see how I'd tell it to do this, or would Horde take care of all that?

Any tips'd be welcome.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: