View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: I HATE Portage Reply with quote

Is portage just buggy or is the concept just completely broken! Having used portage gentoo for two years I believe I'm qualified to say that the problems with emerging apps are not ever going to stop. Just look in the forums. The typical question is "I can't emerge xx", the not so unusual answer is "remerge yy". Then the followup "Why do I have to remerge yy, it's allready emerged". Answer "Don't know".
Or how about the current gnome. Evolution for example. It dependes on two packages which seem to block each other. Which means that I have to break evolution (by removing one of the blockers) and emerge. For me, that means no email for many hours since that reguired xfree and so on and so on.
Portage is simply a pain in the ass. It doesn't help. It's only a stumbling block which gentoo-users are prepared to live with in order to gain access to the ebuilds, which really only means to build apps from source without doing the hard work keeping track where that particular apps want's to be installed and so on. And lets not even talk about the speed of it.

As soon as redhat installs on my hardware, I'm back on RH.

/jarek
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I HATE Portage Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
... Just look in the forums. The typical question is "I can't emerge xx", the not so unusual answer is "remerge yy". Then the followup "Why do I have to remerge yy, it's allready emerged". Answer "Don't know". ...

A part of the problem is that people don't take the time to report the bugs where they should (bugzilla). They'd get fixed a lot quicker if people posted them there instead of (or as well as) in the forums.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I HATE Portage Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
So, in other words we're stuck with you forever. ;)

Seriously though. Portage is far from perfect. And it's far from the most stable system out there. And yes it is dog slow. But show me a packaging system that has been around for such a short time that is any better. It also need to give me easy access to the same wide variety of software and possible configuration options for me to consider it. IMHO [blatant plagerism]portage sucks, it just sucks less than everything else[/blatant plagerism].
And if everyone submitted good bugs it would suck even less. But that's true for a lot of other software as well.
CMI
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to Gentoo mostly beacuse of portage. I was using Mandrake (out of lazyness) and dealing with Mandrake's shiped RPMs is horrible. Its a real PoS. Portage, in my opinion, is better.

My fav package management is Open{Net?, Free?}BSDs system. Once you set up the PKG_PATH env variable (it would be nice if the installer set this up but eh) a simple, ohh... sudo pkg_add ${PKG_PATH}kdebase-3.1.tgz fetches and installs dependencies as portage does (but seems to break a LOT less).
Daganoth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo for two years as well, and I must say, I have been impressed. The notion that portage sucks because people don't know how it works is inane. I personally never had a problem, I read the documentation. I sat down and read the 10 pages of documenation on the Gentoo sight before emerging anything.

But yes, I have had to reemerge packages for no reason to fix them, but that is more of the exception than the rule, which is far from what I found with RPM-based distros.

The problem with the blocked packages is when upgrading Evolution is different development speeds. Evolution 1.4.x became stable before Gnome 2.4.x, and required the new libbonobo and ORBit2 packages in the 2.3.x/2.4.x build. Blocking the Evolution build avoids having multiple, possibly inconsistent builds on your computer. Its a good thing, although annoying.

Nevertheless, I feel your pain. Portage has broken my computer, turns out cause I didn't know what I was doing.

Cheers,

Rich
jarek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daganoth wrote:

Nevertheless, I feel your pain. Portage has broken my computer, turns out cause I didn't know what I was doing.

Cheers,

Rich

Yes, that's what I used to think as well. But then drobbins chimes in with "all you have to do is emerge sync and emerge -u world" and your system is up to date. In theory, perpahs. In real gentoo life, NO. You have to deal with reorganizations of libraries and that causes blocks and stuff. In practice, you can't keep the system available because you have to remove packages which then (although temporarily) breaks apps for people, people who don't know that you (as the administrator) are trying to keep up with development and security updates. For them, it just doesn't work and the administrator is looking like an idiot.
As far as I can see, we are not talking about bugs here. Bugs I can live with. It's the fact that I have to break my system even when things are as intended that gets to me.

/jarek
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so typical of human nature to be unsatisfied. :wink:

I am a big fan of portage because I like the raw control I get on whatever I do. Not to mention the level of optimization. Prior to Gentoo I was a Slackware user and I compiled every damn thing. I never really like RPM based systems or Deb based because of lack of control.
Yes its true that portage is not perfect, but if you just read the error messages a bit carefully, and rather than just blindly emerging software, pay a little more attention to whats going on, you will realize that most of the issues can be easily solved.
Also lets not forget that portage has to be the newest package management system on the block, so lets cut it some slack. I think for its age it has performed very well.

Quote:

How can you possibly think about going to RH out of all the distroś. It is by far the worst when it comes to dependency issues. If you would have suggested Debian I can understand. But RH, get real! How many times have you run across circular dependency in RH, and ofcourse if you didnt know that the only way out of it is by specifying all the rpm packages in one line, you will be running around chasing your tail.

As for your dependency issues, take a look at gentoolkit and the tools it comes with. Perhaps that will help you out. But if you are absolutely set on going to RH, be my guest.
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--nodeps: The cause of, and the solution to, all of RPM's problems... :D
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs... omelet... Portage is your whisk. :)

Good luck with RH not breaking during an upgrade :lol:

Your best bet is Debian stable, but you'll have to get used to using software that's about a year out of date.
jarek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalione wrote:
Its so typical of human nature to be unsatisfied. :wink:

Quote:

How can you possibly think about going to RH out of all the distroś. It is by far the worst when it comes to dependency issues. If you would have suggested Debian I can understand. But RH, get real! How many times have you run across circular dependency in RH, and ofcourse if you didnt know that the only way out of it is by specifying all the rpm packages in one line, you will be running around chasing your tail.

As for your dependency issues, take a look at gentoolkit and the tools it comes with. Perhaps that will help you out. But if you are absolutely set on going to RH, be my guest.

RH is of course not usable without apt-get look-alikes.

Thanks for the tip about gentoolkit. I will have a look at it. I do whatever (in the meantime) that prevents breaking my system.

/jarek
MADcow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not always the fault of portage. Gentoo developers cannot be held accountable if some project's code will not compile on a particular system. submit complaints about bad code to the developers of the project, or to bugs.gentoo.org.
MADcow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea, and RH is WAY worse about dependency problems; you ALWAYS end up having to force deps on RPM's because it "can't find /bin/bash" as well as 3000 other things. then when you force deps and the program won't run, you find out that about 2 of those deps were actually not there. just my take on it though.
sekh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Personally i'm a huge fan of portage. IMO it's great. If you dont like portage you dont have to use it. Portage != gentoo. If you want you can compile everything from source and install it like that, nothing preventing you from doing that afaik.

i might be wrong here, but i think when portage upgrades something it only checks the immediate dependencies. There's a -D option which i think a lot of people dont use.
From the manpage:
Code:
--deep (-D)
    When used in conjunction with --update, this flag forces emerge to consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead of checking only the immediate dependencies of the packages. As an example, this catches updates in libraries that are not directly listed in the dependencies of a package.

I would guess this makes it update all the package dependencies that need updating. Could it be that things break because people dont use this when upgrading?

I can't see why jarek would want to go back to the RPM system on redhat. Portage seems so much easier imo :)
cylgalad
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having tried in order :
- Slackware in '96 : not very fun, quite a mess, never used it since
- Mandrake since v7 : I really HATE rpms, that's the worst piece of shit ever made in the Linux world, and urpmi sucks too, almost looks like what m$ could do with a Linux distro (hmm in fact Corel Linux looks even more as a m$-ish Linux distro) :lol: and RH is an inferior Mandrake IMHO.
- Debian testing : apt-get is far from being as good as tools we have in Gentoo

Of course portage is not perfect, nothing can be perfect in the field of package management, never ! Don't expect too high from portage and you won't be disappointed.
DMM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if the portage manual would at least mention [B ] blocking packages and give some general advice. RIght now, I'm stuck with 2 different blocks on the Gnome upgrade, and nobody seems ot have posted much at all on how to resolve them - something to do with bonobo and the char map utility.

from update world....
Code:

[blocks B     ] gnome-base/bonobo-activation (from pkg gnome-base/libbonobo-2.4.0)
[ebuild     U ] gnome-base/libbonobo-2.4.0 [2.2.3]

Stuff like this is irritating. I think is possibly due to a repackaging. But in the case of an upgrade, just remove the old one, and put the new one in - thats what Portage is supposed to be all about, automating souce installs, right?
professorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself i have only had one problem with portage but I have only used gentoo for a month or two. The problem was with lyx but was esayly solved by compile it myself.

If have'n seen this thread i recommend you to take a look: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=67849
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I HATE Portage Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
Is portage just buggy or is the concept just completely broken! Having used portage gentoo for two years I believe I'm qualified to say that the problems with emerging apps are not ever going to stop.
I've been using Gentoo since April of 2002. I have had very few problems. The problems I have had were resolved on bugs.gentoo.org before I encountered them, or fairly quickly thereafter. I think alot of the problems people encounter are related to using ~arch, or just general operator error. Otherwise, it is very difficult to explain why myself and majority of users have so few problems.

Moved from Portage & Programming.
sekh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why was this moved from portage and programming? just curious, i'd say it has a fair bit to do with portage ;)
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sekh wrote:
why was this moved from portage and programming? just curious, i'd say it has a fair bit to do with portage ;)

It's not request for support; it's a rant. Gentoo Chat is primarily stuff about Gentoo with no support questions, and Portage & Programming is a support forum.

I'm not a moderator, but I would think this is why it was moved.
sekh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok then :)

Dont worry, i'm not complaining, i was just curious :D
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocks are because upstream authors change something that causes incompatibilities and we, the distribution, gets stuck with finding a way to work around it for an upgrade. Blockers are a much cleaner and generally better way to deal with it than what you're stuck with when using RPMs. It's not something unique to Portage, it's just how we've chosen to deal with it - and anyone with extensive RPM experience can tell you that it's not nearly as much of a pain in the ass.

Unmerge the blocker, run the emerge you were trying to run in the first place, and you should be good. That's the point.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarek: you keep insisting that Portage breaks your system or forces you to break your system. You have not detailed how. That's called trolling.

Try to be specific and topical without being intentionally irritating and insulting.
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I HATE Portage Reply with quote

jarek wrote:
Is portage just buggy or is the concept just completely broken! Having used portage gentoo for two years I believe I'm qualified to say that the problems with emerging apps are not ever going to stop. Just look in the forums. The typical question is "I can't emerge xx", the not so unusual answer is "remerge yy". Then the followup "Why do I have to remerge yy, it's allready emerged". Answer "Don't know".
Or how about the current gnome. Evolution for example. It dependes on two packages which seem to block each other. Which means that I have to break evolution (by removing one of the blockers) and emerge. For me, that means no email for many hours since that reguired xfree and so on and so on.
Portage is simply a pain in the ass. It doesn't help. It's only a stumbling block which gentoo-users are prepared to live with in order to gain access to the ebuilds, which really only means to build apps from source without doing the hard work keeping track where that particular apps want's to be installed and so on. And lets not even talk about the speed of it.

/jarek

First off (this is off topic really) why are using Evolution? GUI apps should never be used exclusively for critcal applications, especially running Gentoo. If X break your screwed and can't email, surf, IRC, etc. Sure I think that we should have GUI apps, but personally I wouldn't use them on something like a laptop where I know that I probably won't have backup machine nearby to use email on. Having one box building CVS KDE every night and expecting to have 24/7 Kmail with 100+ mailing lists subscribed that are critical for your job is just asinine and you deserve to not have email. Install stable packages on critical machines, and have a nice bleeding edge one too. Personally with only one machine I know my limits if I expect to use my box regularly.

Also, your complaints are somewhat valid, but you do have to understand that Gentoo developers aren't paid and neither is drobbins. drobbins could have sold portage to the highest bidder when he made it, but he released it as free GPL'd software, which was very ethical and kind of him. I respect him because of this. IMO to many people try to flame drobbins (no not you really) without realizing this. Shit, we got people like ESR sayin "oh well look at all this great software we can run on linux like Staroffice and Oracle (not free software)" and yet people try to say Gentoo is commercial. Debian has pretty much the same packages, but listed non-free. Whooptie!

Gentoo developers don't owe any of us anything. If the system sucks it's just as much all of our faults for not filing bugs etc... as mentioned. I'm very glad that Gentoo exists. Sure portage isn't perfect; no software is perfect. Is it new? Well sure we have BSD ports and stuff like sourcemage, but Portage is pretty damn unique in many respects. If you dislike something about it you have the freedoms granted under the GPL, so use them. If you have constructive critisim that express it. The truth is that no matter what OS, hardware, or environment your in you're always going to have problems, because that's just how computers are. At least you can help your neighbor using Gentoo, although it's not perfect.
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
jarek: you keep insisting that Portage breaks your system or forces you to break your system. You have not detailed how. That's called trolling.

Try to be specific and topical without being intentionally irritating and insulting.

Looks like I just fed the troll.
jarek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:

Well, I didn't detail it because the problems I was refering to were general in nature. For "specific" problems, I usually file bugs or find solution searching the Forums. It's also in the forums that I find I'm not the only one having those problems. After a few years a pattern could easily be seen and I was not intrested in making specific comments.
Having said that, I trigered this time on the fact that the emerge world mantra is not true. Look at the portage forum of today. Plenty of people having the same problem as I had. They too arived at the same solution, unmerge packages, break apps that depend on them, compile, wait. To me, it's not a stellar solution. Quite the opposite it seems to me. Whether there is a solution to "our" problems (I mean the problems many people seem to be having with emerging gnome-2.4) that allows uninterrupted access to programs that that people have become dependent on, it seems that many many gentoo users don't seem to know about them and the main tool for the job does not seem to be helping them.
You may call us trolls, idiots or whatever you want. The fact remains that portage, while solving some dependency problems, introduces others which may not have very attractive solutions.

/jarek
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: