Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
So....who's good at installing Windows on weird partitions?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arnvidr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: So....who's good at installing Windows on weird partitions? Reply with quote

So, I've been trying to install Windows 7 (don't ask) lately, on my linux box, and although I've gotten it to do the first part of the install, after the first reboot, nothing seems to work.

I first tried installing to my sda disk where linux lives. I created a boot partition for Windows on sda3, and the main partition for it on sda10. Pointing grub to the boot partition gave various errors, and pointing it to the main partition obviously didn't work at all. I tried asking for help on this scenario in the Installing Gentoo subforum on the Grub Error Collection thread, but no replies so far.

I then tried to install to my second disk, on sdb1. With lots of examples of grub syntax for having Windows on a second disk, I for sure though this would work, but even if letting the reboot continue without putting grub back in MBR, I got a "Disk error" either way.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? With errors like "Disk error" and "Invalid or unsupported executable format" I'm not sure I could feasibly put the blame on the install media?
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the fastest way is to disconnect your linux drive (sda) and leave only the windows drive (sdb), install windows with only one disk connected, put back the cable in the linux drive and use grub to boot windows. As long as there are no windows readable partitions on the fist drive (sda) for windows sdb1 will be C: and will work perfectly.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
Usually the fastest way is to disconnect your linux drive (sda) and leave only the windows drive (sdb), install windows with only one disk connected, put back the cable in the linux drive and use grub to boot windows. As long as there are no windows readable partitions on the fist drive (sda) for windows sdb1 will be C: and will work perfectly.

++

Windows does not like to be installed after another OS. So you have to trick it into believing it is the ONE.
arnvidr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, was hoping to avoid messing with the hardware.

Thanks guys, will try that this weekend.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr wrote:

What about just changing the priority of the boot in BIOS? If it's a seperate physical disk then just swap so the windows one boots first during the install. Then swap back after the install and adjust grub to suit.
arnvidr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
arnvidr wrote:

What about just changing the priority of the boot in BIOS? If it's a seperate physical disk then just swap so the windows one boots first during the install. Then swap back after the install and adjust grub to suit.

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I got a lot further than on previous attempts though, so thank you for the tip! Still haven't had time to try unplugging the disk, but I'm guessing that'll work.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As erm67 said, the best way is to unplug everything but the secondary drive that you want windows on. Make it bootable and install windows to it.

Reboot and make sure it works, then power off and put everything back the way it was (the linux drive is the bootable drive) and tell grub to remap the drives with something like:

Code:

title Windows 7
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Of course if you change the drive setup this will fail.

Windows doesn't like being installed to a logical partition. Logical partitions can't have the active/system flag set. Windows can get grumpy with that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: