Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
mythtv crashes because lack of capture cards?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: mythtv crashes because lack of capture cards? Reply with quote

hello,

I'm trying to setup mythtv but so some reason it crashes, I need it only to view not record.
from what I've see in /var/log/mythtv/ this is the log file:
Code:
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423178 C [6096/6096] thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2534 (ConfigureLogging) - mythbackend version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25.2] www.mythtv.org
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423224 C [6096/6096] thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2536 (ConfigureLogging) - Qt version: compile: 4.8.3, runtime: 4.8.3
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423229 N [6096/6096] thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2538 (ConfigureLogging) - Enabled verbose msgs:  general
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423359 N [6096/6096] thread_unknown logging.cpp:1176 (logStart) - Setting Log Level to LOG_INFO
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423414 I [6096/6096] thread_unknown logging.cpp:229 (FileLogger) - Added logging to the console
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423459 I [6096/6096] thread_unknown logging.cpp:238 (FileLogger) - Added logging to /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.20121109131155.6096.log
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423467 I [6096/6096] thread_unknown logging.cpp:425 (DatabaseLogger) - Added database logging to table logging
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423540 N [6096/6096] thread_unknown logging.cpp:1215 (logStart) - Setting up SIGHUP handler
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423669 N [6096/6096] thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:51 (InitializeMythDirs) - Using runtime prefix = /usr
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423683 N [6096/6096] thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:64 (InitializeMythDirs) - Using configuration directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423793 I [6096/6096] CoreContext mythcorecontext.cpp:227 (Init) - Assumed character encoding: en_US.UTF-8
2012-11-09 13:11:55.423800 W [6096/6096] CoreContext mythcorecontext.cpp:234 (Init) - This application expects to be running a locale that specifies a UTF-8 codeset, and many features may behave improperly with your current language settings. Please set the LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE variable(s) in the environment in which this program is executed to include a UTF-8 codeset (such as 'en_US.UTF-8').
2012-11-09 13:11:55.424160 E [6096/6096] CoreContext mythdb.cpp:866 (LoadDatabaseParamsFromDisk) - Unable to read configuration file mysql.txt
2012-11-09 13:11:55.424314 N [6096/6096] CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:477 (LoadDatabaseSettings) - Empty LocalHostName.
2012-11-09 13:11:55.424321 I [6096/6096] CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:481 (LoadDatabaseSettings) - Using localhost value of NCC-5001-D
2012-11-09 13:11:55.432668 N [6096/6096] CoreContext mythcorecontext.cpp:1270 (InitLocale) - Setting QT default locale to en_IL
2012-11-09 13:11:55.432681 I [6096/6096] CoreContext mythcorecontext.cpp:1303 (SaveLocaleDefaults) - Current locale en_IL
2012-11-09 13:11:55.432711 E [6096/6096] CoreContext mythlocale.cpp:108 (LoadDefaultsFromXML) - No locale defaults file for en_IL, skipping
2012-11-09 13:11:55.434588 I [6096/6096] CoreContext schemawizard.cpp:117 (Compare) - Current MythTV Schema Version (DBSchemaVer): 1299
2012-11-09 13:11:55.434843 I [6096/6096] CoreContext mythtranslation.cpp:66 (load) - Loading en_us translation for module mythfrontend
2012-11-09 13:11:55.435271 N [6096/6096] CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:556 (run_backend) - MythBackend: Starting up as the master server.
2012-11-09 13:11:55.446012 W [6096/6096] CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:211 (setupTVs) - MythBackend: No valid capture cards are defined in the database.
2012-11-09 13:11:55.452633 E [6096/6096] CoreContext scheduler.cpp:174 (VerifyCards) - Scheduler: No capture cards are defined in the database.
                        Perhaps you should re-read the installation instructions?

as I didn't setup any capture cards, I find it weird that no capture cards cause it the crash.

am I right?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that you have no mythbackend machines on your LAN? Then what are you setting up MythTV to view?

I have one machine with mythbackend set up and running. I have several other machines with mythtv installed, but never run mythbackend on those, only mythfrontend.

But then again, you can't run mythfrontend without a mathbackend accessible on the network. Setting up a mythbackend requires some sort of "capture capability". Note that I say "capability" instead of "card" or "device", because it is possible to use a file. Then whenever you record, you just get the contents of that file. I've never done this myself, but I remember seeing the discussion about it either on the mailing list or on the wiki.

If you're not going to record, just view, aren't there simpler ways to do so than MythTV?
I've always found MythTV to be rather poor with DVDs. Just last week it failed to play "Tremors", so I exited and used VLC.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Are you saying that you have no mythbackend machines on your LAN? Then what are you setting up MythTV to view?

my bad, what crashes is mythbackend.
see:
dagg@NCC-5001-D ~ $ /etc/init.d/mythbackend status

depontius wrote:

I have one machine with mythbackend set up and running. I have several other machines with mythtv installed, but never run mythbackend on those, only mythfrontend.

why would one need two machines to run a htpc?

depontius wrote:

But then again, you can't run mythfrontend without a mathbackend accessible on the network. Setting up a mythbackend requires some sort of "capture capability". Note that I say "capability" instead of "card" or "device", because it is possible to use a file. Then whenever you record, you just get the contents of that file. I've never done this myself, but I remember seeing the discussion about it either on the mailing list or on the wiki.

so I need a capture card to use it? if so, xbmc should suit me, right?
the only reason that I've went with MythTV is because I've understood that it supports vaapi better than xbmc.
depontius wrote:

If you're not going to record, just view, aren't there simpler ways to do so than MythTV?
I've always found MythTV to be rather poor with DVDs. Just last week it failed to play "Tremors", so I exited and used VLC.

as I'm not the only one that is going to use it, I'd prefer a nice gui for it.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
depontius wrote:

see:

depontius wrote:

In my case, I have one machine where all of the recording is done, running mythbackend. I also sometimes run mythfrontend on it, for the "one machine solution". But I have several other machines in the house that can run mythfrontend, including a dedicated "appliance" machine in the TV stand. Part of this "architecture" is happenstance, as I began playing with MythTV on the machine that is now the backend, with one el-cheapo PCI capture card, later replace by a pair of HVR-1600s, later replaced by a networked HDHomeRun Prime. The dedicated "MythTV appliance" came sometime during the interim, and I never thought to move mythbackend to it. Nor do I run it 24x7. At this point I'm re-evaluating my home server strategy, and plan to move my mythbackend down to the hopefully-soon-to-be-constructed new server closet. My current servers, in the old server closet, don't have the brawn to handle MythTV.
DaggyStyle wrote:

depontius wrote:

the only reason that I've went with MythTV is because I've understood that it supports vaapi better than xbmc.

I've got an nVidia 8400GS (gen2) card, so I'm running vdpau, which so far is generally better supported than vaapi, though the latter is "intellectually better."
DaggyStyle wrote:

depontius wrote:

So you're basically after an appliance, then. I think I'd go for xbmc in that case, you're just jumping through too many hoops to use a minor part of MythTV. As mentioned, the DVD player in MythTV just isn't that good, in our experience - poor WAF.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
depontius wrote:

see:

depontius wrote:

In my case, I have one machine where all of the recording is done, running mythbackend. I also sometimes run mythfrontend on it, for the "one machine solution". But I have several other machines in the house that can run mythfrontend, including a dedicated "appliance" machine in the TV stand. Part of this "architecture" is happenstance, as I began playing with MythTV on the machine that is now the backend, with one el-cheapo PCI capture card, later replace by a pair of HVR-1600s, later replaced by a networked HDHomeRun Prime. The dedicated "MythTV appliance" came sometime during the interim, and I never thought to move mythbackend to it. Nor do I run it 24x7. At this point I'm re-evaluating my home server strategy, and plan to move my mythbackend down to the hopefully-soon-to-be-constructed new server closet. My current servers, in the old server closet, don't have the brawn to handle MythTV.
DaggyStyle wrote:

depontius wrote:

I've got an nVidia 8400GS (gen2) card, so I'm running vdpau, which so far is generally better supported than vaapi, though the latter is "intellectually better."
DaggyStyle wrote:

depontius wrote:

So you're basically after an appliance, then. I think I'd go for xbmc in that case, you're just jumping through too many hoops to use a minor part of MythTV. As mentioned, the DVD player in MythTV just isn't that good, in our experience - poor WAF.

sure, vdpau is better, especially when you have an nvidia gpu but alas, I have two atis which vdpau isn't that good and I need them and my intel igp is not in use so I've thought of using it, I'll emerge xbmc then, thanks.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

sure, vdpau is better, especially when you have an nvidia gpu but alas, I have two atis which vdpau isn't that good and I need them and my intel igp is not in use so I've thought of using it, I'll emerge xbmc then, thanks.[/quote]

Food for thought... I just took a look at Newegg...
nVidia chipset, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, 1 VGA, fanless - sort by price. One card under $30. Eleven under $35... You don't need a gaming card for video, just vdpau, and they support that pretty much across all of the newer chipset.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

sure, vdpau is better, especially when you have an nvidia gpu but alas, I have two atis which vdpau isn't that good and I need them and my intel igp is not in use so I've thought of using it, I'll emerge xbmc then, thanks.

Food for thought... I just took a look at Newegg...
nVidia chipset, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, 1 VGA, fanless - sort by price. One card under $30. Eleven under $35... You don't need a gaming card for video, just vdpau, and they support that pretty much across all of the newer chipset.[/quote]

as said before, ran out of slots on the mb, they are already in use be 2 ati gpus, intel igp are crap but they so support vaapi pretty good.
also where I live, hw is expensive and I cannot sell that to the wife.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: