View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: plasma-netbook: DO NOT WANT [solved] Reply with quote

Somehow my laptop has been converted to the KDE plasma-netbook interface, and I can't get it to stop. I don't want any of this fancy shit, I want my KDE3 desktop back. Please somebody help me.

Why WHY do they impose user interface changes on me that I DON'T WANT.

Last edited by jesnow on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What KDE3 desktop? Please do tell whether you want to get actual help or this is just a rant. Right now it sounds as if some magick has planted the "Air for netbooks" plasma theme over your pretty KDE3, which is impossible without your own action. Also, you surely would notice a truckload of KDE4 packages getting emerged on your system.
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE4 has a selection for the desired form factor in Systemsettings. Maybe some KDE4 update changed the default behavior from "desktop" to "netbook". Look in Systemsettings > Look & Feel > Desktop. This has nothing to do with KDE3, if you run gentoo stable you should have KDE4 for some years. KDE3 is kept alive (sort of) in kde-sunset overlay, but is beginning to decay (as in "build errors with newer libraries").
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Apheus: jesnow is a widely known KDE3.5 ranger, hence my question how KDE4 could have possibly sneaked onto his system.

It is possible - though I haven't heard it does - that KDE4, below some native DPI or resolution level, decides it should better set the 'Air for netbooks' plasma theme itself. As already pointed out, it is no miracle to change this.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I didn't know I was a widely known KDE3 guy. A "ranger" (is that better then 'guru'?)! Cool. OK so for the record, I am done with KDE3 and have been working to make KDE4 useable on my machines, so far with mostly OK success. I have managed not to install most of the the bloatware parts of KDE4 (kdepim, kmail, strigi, nempomuk, e.g.), and in the meantime most of my hardware is beefy enough that I can even play with some of the eye candy. Which I find I still hate.

It's not personal, I have a zero-fancy-shit macbook air now at work too, which was a lot easier to do! A *lot*.

The problem here turned out to be an autostart link to netbook-plasma that mysteriously appeared. Delete that and everything is status quo ante. Apparently there are multiple places to put startup items in KDE, I didn't know that.

I still wish KDE4 had an easy way to strip out anything beyond the visual functionality of KDE3. I don't need it, don't want it, just want to do my work, not learn a new desktop metaphor every few years. Yes I am a curmudgeon, so sue me.

Thanks to everyone!

Jon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: