Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Posting from my s3. My first smartphone, so I don't have much to compare it to. I charge it every night, but the battery has never died on me. I do find it to be a but slow - compared to my wifes iPhone 4, there it's a noticeable lag when starting apps. Not really a big deal though. My one complaint is that the screen is to big. I can't reach about a third of the screen with my thumb of the hand I am holding it with, meaning that it often errorts two hands to operate.
lol virtual keyboards.

lol derp derp.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll have to remember that next time. Much shorter than typing out virtual keyboards.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadians can use Nexus 4 on LTE.

http://www.themobileindian.com/news/9449_Nexus-4s-LTE-chip-useless:-LG

Quote:
Interestingly, many Nexus 4 users in Canada reportedly have been able to get the LTE chip in the device up and running on the available Canadian LTE networks. So the bottom-line here is that the Nexus 4 has got the LTE chip as a part of the hardware and it is fully functional.

danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Nexus 4 only has support for a specific band, which is what the Canadian providers use. I don't have one yet, but I will buy one regardless of it having LTE or not. I don't download from my phone anyway. :P
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nexus 4 and I must say its really nice. Google has learned a lot of interactivity/usability lessons between Android 2.3 ( on my old g2 ) and Android 4.2. They've reduced a lot of uncessary clicks and really put a lot of things in perfect places... Also their swype-esque keyboard is a lot better then swype's.

I seriously don't miss the physical keyboard on much g2 one stinking bit.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I'm really thinking about getting one, despite the keyboard and microsd deficiencies. The price is pretty darn good. I need to figure out how to obtain an activation kit.

I've been trying swype, and wow is it not intuitive. While trying to trace a word, I can't see where to go to the next letter (hand covering that part of the kbd). Very, very awkward solution. I haven't used it much yet, so I'm not claiming I've used it enough to adapt.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slightly inclined towards this device because of its price.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Good to know. I'm really thinking about getting one, despite the keyboard and microsd deficiencies. The price is pretty darn good. I need to figure out how to obtain an activation kit.

I've been trying swype, and wow is it not intuitive. While trying to trace a word, I can't see where to go to the next letter (hand covering that part of the kbd). Very, very awkward solution. I haven't used it much yet, so I'm not claiming I've used it enough to adapt.

thats actually sort of the point... the tracing action applies heuristics ( of sorts ) so that you *don't* have to be exactly accurate for it to understand the overall word you are trying to enter. I've found that google's heuristics are even better than swype's. its certainly not for everyone but i find it to be the quickest way to enter text using a single hand. oh and it tends to be better at longer words, b/c of the increasing uniqueness i think.

i typically only use the trace method when holding the phone in portrait orientation.

what sort of activation kit? you get the phone, insert a micro-sim card furnished by you provider, power it up, and input a gmail account(s) you want it associated with.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've literally used swype twice, so I'm assuming it will get at least a little better.

Don't phones need activation kits or something? I think my current phone came with a couple dollars worth of minutes on a card. I had to register the IMEI, etc. I'm guessing the Nexus doesn't come with anything, just an IMEI number. So I have to figure out how to register it, etc.

Here we go. TMobile activation kit (no idea if that's what I'd actually need). _THAT_ is the part I'm referring to. What do I need to do once I have the phone in hand.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dismiss things very quickly, pjp.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are new to OTW, dmitchell.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
You dismiss things very quickly, pjp.
What did I dismiss? Or did you dismiss reading my post(s) and jump to a conclusion?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I think I've literally used swype twice, so I'm assuming it will get at least a little better.

Don't phones need activation kits or something? I think my current phone came with a couple dollars worth of minutes on a card. I had to register the IMEI, etc. I'm guessing the Nexus doesn't come with anything, just an IMEI number. So I have to figure out how to register it, etc.

Here we go. TMobile activation kit (no idea if that's what I'd actually need). _THAT_ is the part I'm referring to. What do I need to do once I have the phone in hand.

you just need service and a microSIM thats associated with your service. that link seems to show a full size SIM card. i had to get mine swapped ( for free ) to a microSIM or you could cut it down yourself :lol:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Getting it could be the tricky part. I don't think the plan I use is available in TMobile stores, and TMobile rejects my CC (no other site has done that). *grrr*

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get a Nexus 4 8G (this year?)...

Recently broke my phone while experimenting with power adapter options, seems I shorted the input and it decided to kill the charging circuit inside the phone. Either that or something fried it :( Currently have to charge the battery externally.

Hopefully I don't need to goto T-Mobile but not sure I want to chop my SIM card though...

It's either this or still tempted to get an ancient n900... Just because I still fear Google.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Store?
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it wasn't sold out or get it next year...
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been paying much attention to its specs, but I noticed it has got a 2100 mAh battery (so to has Galaxy S3 but...), which is currently available in Galaxy Tab2.

And yet, this phone gives a day's worth of juice.

Hm... I'm fine with my current Android phone.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Maybe Expansys has it?

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:
Maybe Expansys has it?

looks like pre-order only; http://www.expansys-usa.com/google-lg-nexus-4-android-smartphone-8gb-unlocked-239759/

i think its only being sold directly via Google atm, and it also requires an established Google Wallet.

the best bet to get one is to track the Play store's page for the 8gb model and have your google wallet all set up so that the transaction can be pushed through as soon as they opening up sales... which seem to be happening ~2 weeks apart. good luck with all that though.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I haven't been paying much attention to its specs, but I noticed it has got a 2100 mAh battery (so to has Galaxy S3 but...), which is currently available in Galaxy Tab2.

And yet, this phone gives a day's worth of juice.

Hm... I'm fine with my current Android phone.
From what I've read, it isn't a "great" phone. It is a very good phone for a very good price. I'd been hoping they would see the light of day and put the microsd slot back in, but it is pretty clear they want to imprison you in their garden, so that's never coming back. And I've yet to see as good a phone (or better) without fubar modifications to the OS.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd chime in here guys. I absolutely loved my NexusS. Sadly missed out on the first round of n4 sales but squeaked in the second.

After the lessons learned from rooting my NexusS, that was a snap. I documented the procedure in a no-nonsense way, so if anyone who doesn't have experience rooting nexus devices wants to save themselves from the mountains of crap out there in forum land, PM me.

I saw the drop tests and issues with the glass back, so I bought a case. Dropped the phone yesterday, it survived. Shrug.

Performance wise, it's the best phone I've ever used. I'd imagine it comparable to the GSIII, which I've never used, but it plays PSX games flawlessly, and has crushed everything I've thrown at it. I am definitely biased coming from my (now incredibly sluggish) NexusS.

Living in Canada, getting it onto LTE was a snap. Slight kicker here, when you reboot the phone, it reverts to WCDMA preferred, so you need to go back into the Testing options and set it back to LTE/GSM auto. No big deal.

Battery life. Yesterday was the first day I used the phone heavily. 8 hours at work, including an hour long conference call, and listening to music using headphones, texting throughout the day, and playing around on the web while connected to 4G, followed by 3 beers at the pub, getting home I had 57% battery remaining. That's better than my NexusS. I haven't downloaded any power management apps like JuiceDefender to squeeze more life out of it yet, no need, maybe that day will come.

To be honest, the mtp stuff has driven me batty. I've only tried sys-fs/mtpfs with an fstab entry so far, but the version I'm using doesn't recognize the Nexus4 yet. Until that time, I'll be stuck dragging/dropping files via a vbox Windows VM. I pushed a number of files to the sdcard using adb, but they wouldn't show up on the phone. Probably some abstraction I'm missing due to the stupid mtp crap.

As far as bang for buck is concerned, and especially if you're a tinkerer, this phone is a NO BRAINER. If you're obsessed about LTE speeds and live outside of Canada (or other countries that have an LTE infrastructure that will get along with the n4) I could see how that would be a dealbreaker... but in my opinion, the Nexus 4 is frickin badass.

:)
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i got the nexus4 during the first round and having used it for a month or whatever its been... its a GREAT phone. not a single aspect of it has disappointed me. period.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: