System-wide unstable (~amd64) [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbaprado
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: System-wide unstable (~amd64) [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello,

I am returning from a long (about 3 years) time abscence in gentoo land and would like to know if anything has changing regarding the different software branches.

Is there anyone running a full ~amd64 willing to share his/her expecience?

Last edited by rbaprado on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
MustrumR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running ~amd64 for about all the time I've been using Gentoo. Pretty stable. ~amd64 is usually considered stable upstream.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbaprado,

I've run ~x86, ~SPARC, ~arm and ~amd64 with very few problems for about 10 years.

Hits and tips ...
Set FEATURES="buildpkgs" this saves a binary talball of everything emerge installs. After a while you have old versions too.
This is your get out of jail free card, since you can install one of these using emerge -K when you update and get a nasty surprise.
It doesn't happen as often as it used to since more development is done in overlays today and ~arch it better behaved than it once was.

buildpkgs is particularly valuable on slower systems. e.g. you have just spent 8 hours updating libreoffice, only to find out its broken.
Code:
emerge -K =libreoffice-<old_ver>
reverts the damage in about 10 minutes.

Use portage-2.2_alpha ... so you don't need revdep-rebuild.
The portage-2.2 branch has the concept of sets and preserved libs. This avoids the major damage that revdep-rebuild fixes.
portage-2.2 is hard masked and not keyworded, so you won't get it unless you really really ask for it.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
rbaprado
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
rbaprado,

I've run ~x86, ~SPARC, ~arm and ~amd64 with very few problems for about 10 years.

Hits and tips ...
Set FEATURES="buildpkgs" this saves a binary talball of everything emerge installs. After a while you have old versions too.
This is your get out of jail free card, since you can install one of these using emerge -K when you update and get a nasty surprise.
It doesn't happen as often as it used to since more development is done in overlays today and ~arch it better behaved than it once was.

buildpkgs is particularly valuable on slower systems. e.g. you have just spent 8 hours updating libreoffice, only to find out its broken.
Code:
emerge -K =libreoffice-<old_ver>
reverts the damage in about 10 minutes.

Use portage-2.2_alpha ... so you don't need revdep-rebuild.
The portage-2.2 branch has the concept of sets and preserved libs. This avoids the major damage that revdep-rebuild fixes.
portage-2.2 is hard masked and not keyworded, so you won't get it unless you really really ask for it.

Thanks, I upgraded to ~amd64 and so far everything is still working :-P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: