bashcomp woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pygoscelis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: bashcomp woes Reply with quote

When bash completion (as in eselect bashcomp) is disabled, "cd ~/<tab>" will offer the list of all files and directories in the home directory for completion. "cd $HOME/<tab>" will do the same.

When bash completion is enabled, "cd ~/<tab>" will offer the list of just the directories (an improvement), but "cd $HOME/<tab>" will offer nothing (a huge letdown).

In fact, all commands I have tried enabling completion for behave the same. When FOO is set to /some/path, "$FOO/<tab>" gives nothing. With completion disabled, "$FOO/<tab>" gives the list of files under /some/path.

Can something be done about it?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: bashcomp woes Reply with quote

pygoscelis wrote:
Can something be done about it?

pygoscelis ... I'm not that familiar with bash completion but both bash and zsh have 'cdable_vars' (bash: 'shopt -s cdable_vars').

Perhaps unrelated but there was also a bug (fixed in patch bash4.2-029) which caused some odd behavior in this regard, but this should be fixed in the current stable bash (4.2_p37).

Anyhow, with zsh

cd $HOME<tab> expands
cd ~<tab> expands
command ~<tab> expands

best ... khay
pygoscelis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: bashcomp woes Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

Anyhow, with zsh

cd $HOME<tab> expands
cd ~<tab> expands
command ~<tab> expands

best ... khay

Yeah, looks like a switch to zsh is in order...
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: bashcomp woes Reply with quote

pygoscelis wrote:
Yeah, looks like a switch to zsh is in order...

pygoscelis ... be sure to add 'zsh-completion' to your useflags as though zsh comes with its own completions, the useflag will enable any additonal compeletions that might be provided with a package (ie: gentoolkit, eix, layman, etc).

Also, if you want to peruse my .zshrc, .zprofile, .zsh/{functions,completions,scripts}, .zshenv, .zlog{in,out} just PM me.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: