[SOLVED] No sound input
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p4l1ly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] No sound input Reply with quote

Hello,

I cannot get any input from any of my input sound devices (internal laptop microphone, input jack). Output works fine. I'll try to describe all the strange things I noticed, then I'll provide some debug information.

Pavucontrol shows two available input ports: "Internal Microphone" and "Microphone (unplugged)". The Microphone port is "(unplugged)" even if my microphone jack is plugged in. Input level indication bars signalize no levels, they signalize some peak after I mute and unmute the device.

It is possible that the internal microphone HW is broken (or unplugged inside the laptop or something like that). I remember, that I had problems with it also when I ran Windows, now my Windows has somehow destructed itself and I cannot test that anymore. However, it doesn't matter to me very much, I primarily want to get the input jack working. I hope it's not also broken but I don't know how to find out whether the problem is in hardware or somewhere in the drivers/alsa/pulseaudio.

I wanted to load the snd_hda_intel driver with model option from here https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt , I haven't found there anything similar to "IDT 92HD81B1X5" neither "Intel ID 2805", I tried some of them (hp, ref), but with no luck. I was doing it this way: After adding the "options snd_hda_intel model=MODEL" line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf I was reloading the alsa drivers with "pulseaudio -k && sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound restart" (I hope it's the correct way)

This is the output of alsa-info.sh, there should be all debug information.
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=052f6bbf602b8a464ca02f7a8d83498cca6bb8b6

Sorry for my english and thank you for your help.

EDIT:

I also tried to increase Mic Boost in alsamixer, with no luck.

When I plug a jack into output jacks of my sound card the levels of bars in the Playback tab of alsamixer change but when I plug a jack into the input jack nothing changes, it looks like alsa doesn't recognize any change. Is there some log for the activity of plugging and unplugging the jacks?

I assume that the input doesn't work because "arecord -d 5 test.wav" doesn't record any sound and because of pavucontrol input level bars don't indicate any sound

Last edited by p4l1ly on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
p4l1ly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved forward a bit. I found that the "/etc/init.d/alsasound restart" command doesn't change the actual behavior, so now I'm rebooting after each change of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf . When I choose model=generic input level bars in alsamixer sense jack plugging and unplugging but on the input there is only some small noise (it's a progress however). When I choose model=ref there is no sensing of jack plugging/unplugging but there is a Front Microphone device which works (I can capture the input). It's great but it is not adjusted for my laptop very well. A LED on my keyboard which should indicate the state of output mute switch blinks randomly and there are some sound devices my laptop doesn't have. So I found out that the HW is not broken and that the problem is only in snd_hda_intel configuration. I'm going to try some other models and if no model worked I'd try to configure the driver myself.
p4l1ly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem solved, right model for HP Pavilion dv7 NoteBook PC is hp-led
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: