Ruby on rails on gentoo on user account, not root
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dylanthomasfan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Ruby on rails on gentoo on user account, not root Reply with quote

Folks,

Ruby on Rails newbie here.

I have followed the instructions in several gentoo posts here in the forum, but have not found a way to install ruby on rails on gentoo in a non-root account. Can someone explain all the steps necessary to install ruby on rails in Gentoo? I have tried everything and I have had the chance to try, and I am not not getting anywhere. Here's the current state of my x86_64 system:

Code:
$<nonrootuser> ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2011-12-28 patchlevel 357) [x86_64-linux]

Code:
$<nonrootuser> rails -v
Rails 2.3.14

Code:
$<nonrootuser> gem -v

When I try to create a new app:

Code:
$<nonrootuser> rails new first_app
/usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.14/lib/rails_generator/options.rb:32:in `default_options': undefined method `write_inheritable_attribute' for Rails::Generator::Base:Class (NoMethodError)
   from /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.14/lib/rails_generator/base.rb:90
   from /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'
   from /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
   from /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.14/lib/rails_generator.rb:37
   from /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'
   from /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
   from /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.14/bin/rails:15
   from /usr/bin/rails:8:in `load'
   from /usr/bin/rails:8

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Oh, I installed rvm like so:

Code:
emerge sys-libs/rvm

but I really do not understand how to use it. I have run

Code:
$ gem install rails
both as root and nonrootuser, and creation of a new app still does not work. At the very least, could someone point out how I could completely wipe out my previous installation and its files, config etc. in both root and nonrootuser so I can start over?

Thanks,
Sonny.
dylanthomasfan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post a reply to my own post because someone else may find this useful. I have seen plenty of posts both here and on stackoverflow on this topic. I hope I do a good job of explaining this here so that it may help somebody else.

The main issue was that the binary executables I was looking for were pointing to the system-wide binaries, and those binaries were pointing to the libraries that need root access (recall that I wanted this to be a per-user configuration). Now, wherever I run rails, I run "$GEM_HOME/bin/rails" instead. Also, it is useful to set GEM_HOME and GEM_PATH in your .bashrc.

Hope this helps someone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: