Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How can I check if portage has these development packages?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fhaddad78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: How can I check if portage has these development packages? Reply with quote

I'm in the process of downloading the source for firefox to build/develop and the following packages are needed:
(taken from https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Developer_Guide/Build_Instructions/Linux_Prerequisites)

Some of the packages I need are development related and I'm not sure how to find them in the portage tree or if they even exist. I listed the packages in question below. Can anyone tell me if these packages are available in portage under a specific name, or how I can check myself? I tried emerge --search --deep {package name} with no luck.

A specific case: emerge --search libnotify returns x11-libs/libnotify but I'm not sure if that's the same as libnotify-dev.

the GTK2 widget toolkit, version 2.10 or higher
libXt-devel for X11/Intrinsic.h, X11/Shell.h
dbus-1-glib-devel (Developer package for D-Bus/GLib bindings) ** I think this is dev-libs/dbus-glib
libasound2-dev (needed for Ogg support)
libnotify-dev
autoconf-2.13 (requires GNU m4) - Autoconf 2.5x will not work. See bug 104642 for details.

EDIT: I'm also thinking that since I'm able to compile firefox and thunderbird through portage, these files are already installed. Is this is a safe assumption?
piedar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I check if portage has these development package Reply with quote

fhaddad78 wrote:
EDIT: I'm also thinking that since I'm able to compile firefox and thunderbird through portage, these files are already installed. Is this is a safe assumption?

In short, yes. Gentoo doesn't have *-dev packages because it installs headers and the like for every package since a dependent package will need those to build. You can see the direct dependencies of firefox-15.0.1 (for example) by
Code:
equery depgraph firefox-15.0.1

Last edited by piedar on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The giant hint here is: DON'T.

firefox is one of the worst packages to start tinkering with if you really don't know, what you're doing.
It has many configure options, some mutually exclusive, other referring to obsolete packages.
Also, unless [minimal] is set, installed firefox should more or less already provide whatever is the public interface of firefox.
On that note, I hope you already know that firefox is quite infamous for its ABI incompatibilities across releases.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want the very latest from their development repo, then just use layman and portage to install a -9999 live ebuild.

To search for things like that zugaina has an overlay search. It shows a firefox-9999 ebuild in an unofficial overlay. Even the mozilla teams overlay doesn't offer one, so your best to heed VoidMage's warning.
fhaddad78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an emerge command to build all the dependencies for a package, but not the package?
fhaddad78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I looked past it three times.. it's --onlydeps
fhaddad78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: