Installing a HP9000 735/125
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Installing a HP9000 735/125 Reply with quote

Hello,

after some years, I wanted to reactivate my old PA-RISC workstation which was already running Gentoo until the harddisk broke down.

I just startet to boot the machine with the 2008 hppa minimal CD but booting stops right after
Code:
 * Setting system clock using the hardware clock (UTC)

Are there any suggestions how to boot this system with something from where I can install Gentoo?
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the reason for this error.

As the machine was not switched on for several years, the RTC contained an invalid time code. Setting date and time in the boot admin console solved the boot problem. I will probably have to replace the battery on the I/O board for not having to configure the RTC at every powerup.
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some steps further.

The next (small) problem was that the driver for the ethernet NIC is not autoloaded, I had to remember that the module is called lasi_82596 and to modprobe it.

After that I managed to do the basic installation, the firmware doesn't find the boot loader (PALO). Even when I instruct the system to boot from the harddisk directly, the firmware says it doesn't find a boot loader.

I fear that my 72GB SCA drive (I use a 50pin <-> SCA adapter for attaching it) is way too recent for my firmware (can only be upgraded by doing some soldering), so the next step will be to use some old 50pin drive for the PALO and the /boot/ partition.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: