Problems moving from Redhat to Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lotas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Problems moving from Redhat to Gentoo Reply with quote

Ok. Im after moving from Redhat to gentoo and im having problems with my /home directory. Its a 20gb partition and i have had it under redhat and mandrake for about 8 months now, and it has a lot of email under evolution, a couple gig of mp3s :lol: and 2 VMware virtual machines, not to mention the mozilla cookies and cache, and accumulated source code. anyway, i moved to gentoo and told it to mount the partition under /home but i cant add users and it doesent seem to like me loggin in as lotas under gnome or kde. KDE cant make "inter process communications" and gnome dies in less then 10 seconds. :roll: I was told about the redhat using user ides of 500+ and gentoo being 1000+ and i chowned the lotas dir to 1000 and also chgrp to 100 (may be wrong). can anyone help? i may have totally messed it up with ownership etc, but can anyone tell me what to do? Thanks and sorry for messing if i realy messed it up! :oops:
www.lsn-blog.tk
Dual Athlon 2Gz, 1Gb ram, 120Gb hdd, GeForce FX5200, DVD+R/-R/+RW/-RW, CDR/RW
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems moving from Redhat to Gentoo Reply with quote

lotas wrote:
Ok. Im after moving from Redhat to gentoo and im having problems with my /home directory. Its a 20gb partition and i have had it under redhat and mandrake for about 8 months now, and it has a lot of email under evolution, a couple gig of mp3s :lol: and 2 VMware virtual machines, not to mention the mozilla cookies and cache, and accumulated source code. anyway, i moved to gentoo and told it to mount the partition under /home but i cant add users and it doesent seem to like me loggin in as lotas under gnome or kde. KDE cant make "inter process communications" and gnome dies in less then 10 seconds. :roll: I was told about the redhat using user ides of 500+ and gentoo being 1000+ and i chowned the lotas dir to 1000 and also chgrp to 100 (may be wrong). can anyone help? i may have totally messed it up with ownership etc, but can anyone tell me what to do? Thanks and sorry for messing if i realy messed it up! :oops:

ahhhhhhhhhh man, you have yourself in two worlds, my friend :)

Okay, what I'd do is backup the .kde and other directories that hold preferences. Also, what directory does evolution store it's mail? (I'm not sure, I have never used it)
You've created your user, right? Alright, log in as root, and chown the entire home directory (and subdirectories with -R) to <your userid>:users.
At least that'll give you no permissions issues. Now, if kde and gnome are giving you issues, what I'd do is move the .kde or .gnome(2?) directory to a .kde-old or .gnome(2?).old directory. Then, restart X.

I have a feeling the stuff stored in the .kde and .gnome* directories are what is giving you the issues. As far as mail, linux is linux in that respect. There should be no issues.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually share my home partition between two Redhat installs (only one active) and my gentoo box. I mount /home as a separate partition. I also make sure that /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/shadow for users whom I want to share is the same on both systems (only for those users). I haven't had any problems with this setup for quite a while.

Note that I edited /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/shadow "by hand" to do this and did not use adduser, etc. (too much of a pain).
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
I actually share my home partition between two Redhat installs (only one active) and my gentoo box. I mount /home as a separate partition. I also make sure that /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/shadow for users whom I want to share is the same on both systems (only for those users). I haven't had any problems with this setup for quite a while.

Note that I edited /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/shadow "by hand" to do this and did not use adduser, etc. (too much of a pain).

Hmm... I've never done this but if you have no problem with it, sounds as if the only problem being had is dealing with the ownerships of the files.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More details:

Current Gentoo box:
RedHat 7.2: /, /usr, /usr/local, /home (NFS: shared), swap (shared)
Gentoo: /, /home (NFS: shared), swap (shared)

/home is served from a different box detailed below. I used to alternate for a while between RH and Gentoo until I was convinced that Gentoo was right for me :) I don't use RH on this any more.

The other box is RH 6.2 that has /home (NFS: server), swap, ... I don't use GUI apps on this any more.

There have been no real issues with kde. Gnome 1.4 was OK. 2.0 seemed to have some issues with gconf... I don't use it much, so I didn't bother to investigate. Could have been NFS-related.
lotas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas. The first reply worked perfectly!! i originally had to be loged in as root, not im loged in as loas! :D As a reply to the others about the NFS partitions, i would love to try something like that because i have a server here running, but unfortunitly i have not got enough space on it to run properly. I would need at least 20gb + to run all my files. it would be handy especially if i got me a laptop or used a different system to my workstation.
Thanks for all replys!!!
www.lsn-blog.tk
JHuizingh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of the suggested solutions should work.

Permissions work by associating the file with a specific User Number (not name). Same for Group. For example if I have redhat and gentoo sharing the same home directory for user jh, and jh UID = 507 in redhat and jh UID = 1015 in gentoo, we have a problem because only the jh in the first distro, redhat, can access the jh home directory.

Arkane's way works by assigning the home directory to 1015 so the gentoo jh will be able to use that directory. This doesn't cause a problem because red hat is no longer in use.

Naan Yaar's way works by synchronizing the UID's and GID's between the 2 distros in the password and group files. If I made both UID's 507 and gave them the same group number as well, both jh's could access the home directory because the permission is set to their UID.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:

I just use the '-u' flag to adduser to ensure a specific UID. Am I missing something that makes the pain?
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, cutting and pasting 10 lines all at once from passwd, group and shadow is a lot easier than doing useradd with the right uid, gid 10 times. There is also cutting and pasting of encrypted passwords to the command line, etc. I find this error prone (YMMV).
lotas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well because this system is my development system and workstation, there is only one account. so the chown lotas:users on /home worked grand!! :) no one else has access to my system other then me! thanks for all replys.
www.lsn-blog.tk
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: