emerge complaining about keyword change and license change
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: emerge complaining about keyword change and license change Reply with quote

Hi. When I try to install skype I get the following error
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs-20120520  USE="-development" 33,929 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-db-20120520  USE="-development" 1,775 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-opengl-20120520  USE="-development" 35,461 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-20120520  USE="opengl -development" 2,375 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-medialibs-20120520  USE="-development" 10,200 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-soundlibs-20120520-r2  USE="alsa -development" 6,942 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-qtlibs-20120520  USE="-development" 16,618 kB
[ebuild  N    ~] net-im/skype-4.0.0.8-r1  USE="-pax_kernel -qt-static (-selinux)" 28,047 kB

Total: 8 packages (8 new), Size of downloads: 135,344 kB

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by net-im/skype (argument)
=net-im/skype-4.0.0.8-r1 ~amd64

The following license changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by net-im/skype (argument)
>=net-im/skype-4.0.0.8-r1 skype-4.0.0.7-copyright

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring CONFIG_PROTECT).

Can anyone explain to me what are those errors and how can I solve them for this particular case?
Thanks
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omead,

It's all explained in the Portage Introduction chapter of the Handbook. If you have specific questions about the material you find there, then go ahead and ask. :wink:

- John
DanneStrat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two things you need to do if you want to emerge that package.
Notice how skype is prepended with a tilde sign (~). This indicates that the package is currently in the testing branch. Also notice the packages it depends on are all in the stable branch (no tilde). A general recommendation is to not mix software branches, but since all the dependencies the package needs are in stable branch, you can pull in this version of skype without problems.

First you need to accept the ~amd64 keyword for skype so that it becomes available in your current branch:
Code:
# nano -w /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords

=net-im/skype-4.0.0.8-r1

Then you also need to accept the skype license:
Code:
# nano -w /etc/portage/package.license

net-im/skype skype-4.0.0.7-copyright
Omead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Omead,

It's all explained in the Portage Introduction chapter of the Handbook. If you have specific questions about the material you find there, then go ahead and ask. :wink:

- John

Thanks. Ok I solved the license complaint, but does that mean I can not install skype because of the keyword change complaint? Is it harmful to compile it with ~amd64 keyword?
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the amount of risk / instability you are willing to tolerate. All the ~arch packages are supposed to work for some developer's configuration but, since your configuration is probably different than the developers, then you may encounter (usually minor) problems. Now, skype is an unusual case. Because (I believe) it's commercial binary only software, it's left in ~arch kind of as a matter of principle, because it's not possible to evaluate for security vulnerabilities or effectively debug.

- John
Omead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John.
aharel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Thanks and a caveat Reply with quote

Thanks DanneStrat, that worked!

So simple, but I got confused along the way. Mostly because
Quote:
emerge --search skype
, the recommended diagnostic, showed that skype uses skype-eula. And skype-eula was already correctly configured in /etc/portage/package.license

Guess the lesson is to take every bit of information from the output of emerge, rather than from diagnostic tools.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: