View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breedx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: populating gnome program list Reply with quote

I just installed gnome by emerge. I start it up it starts fine but there are no programs installed. There are the little utilities and such but most of the program groups are empty. is there a easy way to populate it or do i need to emerge something else?
thanks
dean
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: populating gnome program list Reply with quote

breedx wrote:
I just installed gnome by emerge. I start it up it starts fine but there are no programs installed. There are the little utilities and such but most of the program groups are empty. is there a easy way to populate it or do i need to emerge something else?
thanks
dean

It's a feature, not a bug, silly! :P

All you have to do is emerge only the programs you need. It's efficient, faster than emerging all the stuff you don't need, and generally has benefits all around.

If you have no idea what gnome software you need/want, check out http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/
Obz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you *just* did an emerge gnome i'd expect you'd have gnome2 installed. currently there are very few gnome2 specific programs/apps around (keeping in mind that gnome2 itself is not backwards compatible with gnome 1.x). therefore there is a very small range of apps that are fully compatible with gnome2 in such a way as they can be placed in the menus. examples of this are that apps like gthumb, gphoto or gimp v1.3 will all appear in the menus, whereas gimp v 1.2.x will not, and neither will an app like xmms.

also its worth noting that menu-editing in gnome 2.0 is broken at the moment and will apparently be fixed in the next release
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: