Obama Administration Threatened Terrorism Victim's Family
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Obama Administration Threatened Terrorism Victim's Family Reply with quote

The family of beheaded journalist James Foley claim they were threatened repeatedly by the the White House and told they would be prosecuted for aiding terrorists if they tried to raise the ransom money to free their son. They also claim they told the Obama Administration exactly where their son was being held as early as last April, but they were reluctant to try to do anything about it.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/government-threatened-foley-family-ransom-payments-mother-slain/story?id=25453963

But, what's actually getting the bigger headline and more TV coverage? Bristol Palin punched somebody at a party.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sarah-palins-family-allegedly-alaska-house-party-brawl/story?id=25452917
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
State Department spokesperson Marie Harf today denied the State Department told the family they could be prosecuted for paying ransom, only that the department helps hostage families “understand what our laws are about terrorists or paying ransom to terrorists.”

Quote:
Thursday an NSC spokeswoman also said that the Foley family was informed of U.S. laws banning terrorism financing but denied the family was told they could face charges if they made a ransom payment.

Can some double-speak expert help me parse what the difference is between telling someone that what they are planning on doing is against the law versus threatening prosecution if the person does it?

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is also a matter of longstanding policy that the U.S. does not grant concessions to hostage takers. Doing so would only put more Americans at risk of being taken captive.

Also, only the commander in chief can break this policy, of course. You know, to get one US military traitor back in trade for a bunch of high-ranking terrorists. How quickly people forget.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one under the bus.
And another one gone, and another one gone.
Hey, he's gonna get you, too.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Navar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
Also, only the commander in chief can break this policy, of course. You know, to get one US military traitor back in trade for a bunch of high-ranking terrorists. How quickly people forget.

Oh I don't forget. I wonder if he got his $350K tax free POW/5 yr backpay receipt too while he was transitioned... back into service.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navar wrote:
BonezTheGoon wrote:

Oh I don't forget. I wonder if he got his $350K tax free POW/5 yr backpay receipt too while he was transitioned... back into service.

With retroactive pay grade increase. For being a fucking deserter on the field of battle, and causing the death of fellow soldiers. He should be strung up by his balls with TOW missile guide wire.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: