Obama campaign threatens NAACP leader
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Obama campaign threatens NAACP leader Reply with quote

NAACP Official: Obama Campaign Staffer Threatened Me

Quote:
CHICAGO (CBS) — The President of the South Suburban Branch of the NAACP alleges a director of the re-election campaign of Barack Obama has threatened and intimidated him because he doesn’t support the president.

David Lowery says he believes he was threatened during a phone conversation with Louis Raymond, the Illinois political director for Obama for America.

Lowery says he doesn’t personally support the president because he’s not addressing issues important to the black community. He said he was explaining that to Raymond when the Obama campaign official told him, “You know what? I know everything about you.”

Lowery says Raymond added, “We’ve been watching you, and since you don’t support Obama, we’ll deal with you,” before hanging up.

Lowery filed a report with the Oak Forest police report, he says, “in case something happens.”

He says it was suggested the NAACP should automatically back the president. Lowery notes a non-profit cannot support a particular candidate.

He says it’s a clear signal the Obama campaign is concerned about the black vote.

Lowery hosts an internet radio program called “Let the Truth Be Told,” where he’s made no secret of his displeasure with the president.

Louis Raymond declined to comment. The Obama re-election campaign issued a written statement in response to Lowery’s claims.

“Unfortunately there seems to have been a miscommunication regarding this conversation and we have since discussed with the campaign staffer in an effort to clarify the matter. The President continues to support the mission and principles of the NAACP and the work they do,” the statement said.

Lowery says he’s not for Romney, either.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I wonder why I haven't heard the White House Press Corps talking about this? You'd think at least a denial would be in order. Oh, I know. They've completely blacked it out! Nobody at the National level is covering it! (except maybe Fox News).
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MSM is just disgraceful. They let Obama get away with murder and would hang Romney for jay-walking.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has the NAACP itself done anything about this?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the NAACP is threatening to fire him if he doesn't shut up. Freedom of speech FTW! A "civil rights" organization that doesn't believe in civil rights. Amazing.
Quote:
ATLANTA, Oct. 8, 2012, 1 p.m. - The Illinois NAACP president has sent a "cease and desist" letter to a local chapter head who says he was threatened by the Obama for America presidential campaign.

"That letter is trying to push me into a position to support them or shut up," President of the South Suburban Branch of the NAACP David Lowery told ReddingNewsReview.com.

Lower told WBBM last week that Louis Raymond, the Illinois political director for Obama for America, threatened him for not supporting Obama. Raymond was quoted to have said:
Quote:
You know what? I know everything about you ... We’ve been watching you, and since you don’t support Obama, we’ll deal with you.

Lowery said Raymond then hung up the phone. Lowery has since filed a police report.

Lowery said he is now in the process of responding to a letter for NAACP state President George P. Mitchell, which appears to silence Lowery. Mitchell's letter, obtained by ReddingNewsReview.com, reads:
Quote:
"President Lowery, your comments today with radio station WBBM suggest many different things we should avoid saying and/or implying. We spoke earlier this day about what you termed as a 'threat' or action 'to intimidate you'.

After listening to portions of the broadcast and communication from others, it appears as if you were overzealous in your comments and actions. The report on WBBM can easily be interpreted as you are speaking for the entire NAACP in your challenge to the President’s candidacy and political accomplishments. This implies a partisan position which is strictly prohibited as a leader of the NAACP.

You are to cease and desist in partisan comments about any candidate or political party. As you know the NAACP is non-partisan and we emphatically adhere to this principle. You will recall from various communications that some terms are clearly inappropriate and suggest political advocacy.

I regret having to send this admonishment, but it is necessary to clarify the NAACP position on partisan activities and to separate personal opinion from our expressed non-partisan position."

"You would fire me because I don't support a Democrat president and we are not supposed to support any body?" Lowery asked.

"I think that they are way off base, because they are trying to silence me and it shows that they are being partisan toward the Democratic Party, when we are suppose to be nonpartisan. My job is to educate voters about all there options and let the people make a decision about who they want to vote for."

Mitchell was not immediately available for comment about the letter.

The Obama re-election campaign issued the following response:
Quote:
Unfortunately there seems to have been a miscommunication regarding this conversation and we have since discussed with the campaign staffer in an effort to clarify the matter. The President continues to support the mission and principles of the NAACP and the work they do.

http://www.reddingnewsreview.com/newspages/2012newspages/exclusive_12_10000096.htm
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: