Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HL2- source ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't look at me for MP3's. I got relatives in the entertainment industry. I think that the pittance made by artists is kinda stupid, but I don't buy CD's anyhow. I got what I need.
Registered Linux User #263260
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panick007 wrote:
I love how everyone suddenly gets morals when it comes to stolen source code. "We'll download MP3s until the cows come home, screw the RIAA! What?!? You've got the HL2 code! You can't look at that, it's wrong!"

Gimme a freakin' break!

You are exactly right. This is exactly the same. This thread makes me feel exactly the same as all the slashdot stories about RIAA and MPAA... a bunch of idiots trying to defend stealing somebody's work. True, it's not "stealing" with respect to the "physical" definition of depriving somebody of property, but it's still a sale lost. "Because you wouldn't have bought it anyway" is not an argument. I'll never buy another copy of Windows, but that doesn't mean that I can say "oh well" and just download a warez copy. (I probably shouldn't say never, but at least not very likely -- I do own a copy of Windows for gaming, but I'm using it less and less as more games are released for *nix)

On a similar note, to downloading avi's and mp3's -- no I do not. I frequent stores with preview systems, or check around the legitimate sites for previews online (like the 30 - 45 sec clips on amazon, etc.). I rent movies. Then I buy CD's and DVD's. Simple.

I will never see any other side to these ridiculous adolescent arguments & ideas.

... ok, sorry bout that, bit of a sore spot with me :) Most of my family are programmers and I'm going to school for the same. IP "issues" are touchy around here. Just for clarification, I don't want to sound like I'm snapping at the "you can't look at it, it's wrong" attitude -- of course I agree with that :) ... more so at the way people irrationally justify morally and legally wrong behavior
Linux User #223670
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Thoughts on a native client Reply with quote

The moral issues I will not comment on that really.

But I do think a port of this would be very hard. Looking at the source it includes half-life1 as well. There is also a lot of other source that valve obviously paid for like the directx9 and 8 sdk, and various "Copyright Intel Corporation" headers here and there.

There are well over 10,000 source files so a project of this size would require a team, and organizing a team would require the internet or some other form of organizing unless you know of 5 to 10 crack directx and opengl coders. Any attempt to organize a team to port this would be smacked with a Cease and Desist in a matter of minutes.

I honestly thirst for a native client and it makes me very sad knowing I cannot play it, and I do think valve is one of the DUMBEST companies around for having the source tree of a priceless more then 7 years of work code base even thinking about touching the internet. I won't get into the half-life 1 mac port ugh... or the other stupid annoying moves valve has made.
Raiko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accidents happen. You can't blame everything on Valve. It's kinda like blaming a bank robbery on the bank for not having <insert item, service, etc. here>.

A port isn't possible because A). The source is stolen.. therefore if anything was released, the person would get nailed. B). Sending changes to Valve and showing them a port is possible = nailed even easier. C). Doubt you'll ever get Valve to agree to anything involving a port. They do linux server apps and thats it. A client would be a pain in the ass for them to do since it's heavily Windows dependant and they don't have the time/money to port it over. I personally wouldn't do it either. Would someone like to guess how much a port to linux would cost Valve? Im guessing a few hundred thousand atleast.

A native client would be nice, but it isn't going to happen.
Panick007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DirectX SDKs are a free download from Microsoft's MSDN website. The Valve code just included the library files for linking anyway, so no problem there. And there are a little over 7600 files there, not 10,000. But considering that some of it is TF2, HL1, and CS code there might not be a whole lot of HL2 code.

There is some code from the Havok physics system and Miles sound system that was definitely licensed though. It sounds like Valve has worked out whatever issues they had to with those companies though so that is some good news (i.e. they aren't going to get sued).

And I doubt very much that this will affect the HL2 sales in any way shape or form. There are rumors that all the resource files were also taken (1.3 gigs of them) but I wouldn't touch them with a ten meter cattleprod, what with the code being in the wild that would be asking to have your box backdoored.

Didn't mean to sound so harsh in my last post but I have seen so much BS from people on this issue. All over if you admit that you did in fact download and look at the code you get chastised by a bunch of people who just pulled Underworld and Korn's latest album off of Kazaa on their warez'd copy of Corporate Windows XP. People need to grasp a little bit of reality. :roll:
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panick007 wrote:
The DirectX SDKs are a free download from Microsoft's MSDN website. The Valve code just included the library files for linking anyway, so no problem there. And there are a little over 7600 files there, not 10,000. But considering that some of it is TF2, HL1, and CS code there might not be a whole lot of HL2 code.

Yes just double checked that your right a little over 7600, and I just saw the directx9sdk folder and shuddered and didnt open it : ). So TF2 is not vaporware, i saw the build_tf2.bat and laughed heartily. It looks as though HL2 is a big big improvment over the hl1 codebase, not completely seperate and from scratch.
Panick007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest news over this whole thing is that Gabe Newell now says that the code base that was taken was only a "small portion" of the code. Now that's interesting because there are a lot of people that have gotten it to compile into a useable executable (they can even make their own maps with the included Worldcraft code and run around in a box with all their friends, yay). But maybe the hacker didn't pull all of the neccessary shader files or something. So maybe a port wouldn't even be workable with whats there.

And since when is 170+ megs and a few million lines of code considered "small"? :lol:
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been able to get it to build with the included bat files. A friend has visual studio 6 installed onto XP professional and they are giving the old "command not found" deal for msdev and some others. I am missing something but what?
Panick007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NitroPye wrote:
I have not been able to get it to build with the included bat files. A friend has visual studio 6 installed onto XP professional and they are giving the old "command not found" deal for msdev and some others. I am missing something but what?

Personally I have only gotten Worldcraft to build properly and I am using VC++ 6 with the latest service pack. The source appears to be very MS compiler specific. Word on the IRC is that most people using .NET can get it to build with some changes made to some files (don't know which ones). I have yet to actually be able to build any of the client or engine stuff but I don't know a whole lot about how the linking is supposed to work and what not. I'm just a C++ college student (and just starting at that).

Anyway the Half-Life 2 IRC channels are the place to check for that kind of stuff. I'm sure all the Gentoo-ites are null interested so I'll stop the off topic posting here. :)
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read at a german online news-services (http://www.golem.de/0310/27796.html) that they are pushing the release back to april 2004 (!!!).

I guess there's gonna be some serious head-rolling and flame-waring in the next weeks...
Panick007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleendian wrote:
I just read at a german online news-services (http://www.golem.de/0310/27796.html) that they are pushing the release back to april 2004 (!!!).

I guess there's gonna be some serious head-rolling and flame-waring in the next weeks...

Just in time for Doom 3 to ship! It's UT vs. Quake 3 all over again! Except this time one is available for Linux and one isn't (and one has source code out in the open and one doesn't).

Guess I'll wait for D3 then.
blueworm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No body reads the EULA
everybody downloads Mp3
Everyone rips off Windows
Stop bieng so Self-righteous
The world is not black and white...
There is NEVER EVER going to be a Halflife port...
End of story.
Moderator lock this thread it has gone too far!
bakgwailo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: ok.... Reply with quote

ok... I don't see how this has gone to far, I actually think its a pretty nice debate on the legality of the source code, but, what ever, lock it if you must
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueworm wrote:
No body reads the EULA
everybody downloads Mp3
Everyone rips off Windows
Stop bieng so Self-righteous
The world is not black and white...
There is NEVER EVER going to be a Halflife port...
End of story.
Moderator lock this thread it has gone too far!

It has not gone to far at all, a good debate from both sides on issues moral legal and just plain "I want half-life 2 on linux".

I would some-what see your point about it going to far BUT, you state how you feel about the topics, then say the thread should be locked, how hypocritical is that! Sounds like to me you just want the last word.
pi314
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like to me you just want the last word.

maybe he simply wants some food for the trolls :wink:

has anyone attached those nice stickers from intel to his case having an amd running in it? - it's illegal too :lol:
-> don't believe it? then read your licence shipped with every intel in a box
Yinchie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with blueworm :)
All his points are correct.

And yup, there will never be a Linux port of Half-Life.
This is a fact :)

btw. Half-Life 2 beta is out on the internet, not legal. (dont ask me where to get it.)
pi314
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

exept the last one

and the linux port - time will show
or was there someone out there thinking that you can buy a standalone version of CS one day?
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinchie wrote:
I do agree with blueworm :)

Correct or not, far from tackful and in an intelligent form.
ethzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiko wrote:
Doubt you'll ever get Valve to agree to anything involving a port. They do linux server apps and thats it. A client would be a pain in the ass for them to do since it's heavily Windows dependant and they don't have the time/money to port it over. I personally wouldn't do it either.

According to what I've read, the Source engine (aptly named? ;)) is very modular. It already has multiple paths for different versions of DirectX and the developers wanted to leave open the possibility of an OpenGL port in the future. So just because it's marketed as a DirectX 9 game doesn't mean it's heavily Windows dependant. Valve did a Half Life server because enough people asked for it. Ask them for a Half Life 2 client and they just might do it ...

Raiko wrote:
Would someone like to guess how much a port to linux would cost Valve? Im guessing a few hundred thousand atleast.

But what would Valve get for a port? Assume the game sells 2 million copies at $50 a copy. If 1% of sales are for Linux, that means 20000 copies and $1 million in revenue. That's not counting multiplayer, counter-strike or other "upgrades". Plus, once you've ported to Linux, most of the work for a Mac port is done. I think it could easily be profitable.
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethzero wrote:

According to what I've read, the Source engine (aptly named? ;)) is very modular. It already has multiple paths for different versions of DirectX and the developers wanted to leave open the possibility of an OpenGL port in the future. So just because it's marketed as a DirectX 9 game doesn't mean it's heavily Windows dependant. Valve did a Half Life server because enough people asked for it. Ask them for a Half Life 2 client and they just might do it ...

It wouldn't be a problem if valve followed IDs path and wrote portable code from the start. From looking at the source I see tons of WinAPI shit. I honestly want to see more game making like ID, because they set the example for a portable modular engine.
bakgwailo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

But what would Valve get for a port? Assume the game sells 2 million copies at $50 a copy. If 1% of sales are for Linux, that means 20000 copies and $1 million in revenue. That's not counting multiplayer, counter-strike or other "upgrades". Plus, once you've ported to Linux, most of the work for a Mac port is done. I think it could easily be profitable.

Heh, the whole point of the thread is that if we port the leaked source code, then valve won't even have to spend time doing it, so thus they get free linux and mac users for no time/effort at all ^_^.
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to give them the satisfaction, but I do want to give myself the satisfaction of playing the game.

Stupid decisions.
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pi314 wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like to me you just want the last word.
has anyone attached those nice stickers from intel to his case having an amd running in it? - it's illegal too :lol:
-> don't believe it? then read your licence shipped with every intel in a box

Just one point of clarification: an end-user license agreement (EULA) is not a legally binding contract. It's a one way "agreement" that does not have the benefit of the input of both parties, and as such, the second party is not necessarily bound by it. Yeah, I'd love to see Intel try to sue somebody for putting an "Intel Inside" sticker on their AMD box.

Until a court upholds an EULA, I think it's safe to say that we can safely ignore their ridiculously restrictive (and possibly illegal) clauses.
pi314
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right :D

maybe I should better say: "Illegal from the point of view of some big industrialist"
Panick007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wants to play it on Linux bad enough it'll get ported (probably in some sort of hacky half-assed manner) then it'll appear in a torrent somewhere and no one will touch for fear that it's a rootkit. :P
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: