View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevegriffdtcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: [Solved] DBus Issue - Starting GNOME Reply with quote

Morning all,

I have a strange dbus issue that I can't seem to get to the bottom of when I'm starting up a GNOME session through GDM for the first time.

It seems that the dbus daemon is 'hanging' on startup, where I cannot launch any dbus reliant apps such as Gnome Terminal and Nautilus. I need to stop dbus for Gnome Terminal to appear on the screen.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to debug this dbus issue?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Last edited by stevegriffdtcom on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
stevegriffdtcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into this more I found the following errors in .xsession-errors. Anyone know how this could be fixed?

Code:
(gnome-settings-daemon:3878): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_notify: object class `GkbdStatus' has no property named `name'

(gnome-settings-daemon:3878): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: invoking IsSupported() failed for remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.GduVolumeMonitor: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled: Process /usr/libexec/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor received signal 6
Failed to play sound: File or data not found

(gnome-panel:3883): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: invoking IsSupported() failed for remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.GduVolumeMonitor: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled: Process /usr/libexec/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor received signal 6

(gdu-notification-daemon:3908): libgdu-WARNING **: Couldn't get daemon properties
======================================================================
Error constructing GduPool: (unspecified error)

This error suggests there's a problem with your udisks or D-Bus installation.
======================================================================

(gdu-notification-daemon:3908): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(gdu-notification-daemon:3908): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(gdu-notification-daemon:3908): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(gdu-notification-daemon:3908): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

libgdu:ERROR:gdu-pool.c:2459:gdu_pool_get_devices: assertion failed: (pool != NULL)

stevegriffdtcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to work this one out. For the sake of completeness on this forum, this is what I did:

Quote:

This can be "fixed" by running chmod u+s /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper
however I assume this should be done on emerge.

VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, the real fix was something else did did in the process of figuring it out.
stevegriffdtcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Most likely, the real fix was something else did did in the process of figuring it out.

Possibly, did a lot of tinkering and maybe tweaking one thing might have led to another fix.
mmogilvi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encountered this problem as well, including the ability to hack around it by changing permissions of /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper.

It took a while, but I eventually tracked down my actual problem. Somehow the main GID number for the messagebus user in /etc/passwd was not consistent with the messagebus GID number in /etc/group. Most likely it was messed up because I had copied parts of both files to maintain real user's IDs with other machines, which may have interacted poorly with scripts to add the system IDs. But oddly, I did that copying more than a year before this problem manifested itself after an update.

Fixing the GID in /etc/passwd fixed the problem without requiring hacked up permissions on /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper.
Onip
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mmogilvi : you are my new hero.

Titus Lucretius Carus, De Rerum Natura - Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum
piotraf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmogilvi wrote:

Fixing the GID in /etc/passwd fixed the problem without requiring hacked up permissions on /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper.

re-emerge dbus and reboot fixes the GID. I encountered this years ago, and now I see it is still not fixed. When building a new stable branch system it gets unknown GID 99 while messagebus GID in my case was 105.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: