old minimal image?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samsungNC10user
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: old minimal image? Reply with quote

hi

i am installing 3rd gentoo system, this time on my desktop pc.
with the current 20120917 64 install dhcpcd isn't working, because of some mkdir errors during boot... So i am using an old image now, from 2010, is there any downside to this?
I think not, amirite?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has the tools you need you should be OK. Just thinking back I don't think ext4 is that old, but I could be wrong. It will also include things like hal. I just did this install with a the System Rescue CD from March of last year. I believe the biggest issues you will have is old file system tools and you might experience packages that will not build due to the age of the kernel.

That said, you should consider using the System Rescue CD. It does the exact same thing as the Gentoo CD except you also can use X during your install and I prefer Firefox over links any day. Also, copy and paste from the handbook to the terminal can be handy. you can get it here. The rescue Cd is also nice to have around because it lives up to its name.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one thing: It may detect you drives as /dev/hd[x]. You must change this to /dev/sd[x] in your fstab if you are using hardware that old.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: