Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Debate: Obama vs Romney
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Lewinsky doing the sucking long before Bush?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Former New York Times Executive Editor Bill Keller summed up the Lehrer criticism, giving him a D grade and calling him “road kill” in his Twitter analysis of the debate.


http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/10/03/lehrers-road-kill-showing-makes-obamas-weak-debate-performance-look-good/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GabrielYYZ
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 17
Location: Dominican Republic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
What I predict Obama will do is double-down on the propaganda and lies, knowing that most of the American public is too pathetically ignorant and lemming-like to watch the debates and make up their own minds, and banking on the media to shield him by spinning the results.

Tomorrow, we will see "fact checking Romney", claiming that half the things he said were lies, while overlooking the few huge and obvious ones Obama floated (and the fact that he got his dick knocked in the dirt repeatedly when he tried them). We'll see no change to the attack ads claiming the same things that were just debunked in front of the entire Nation. We'll see coverage even in the more serious media avoid highlighting Obama's crappy performance in the debate, and instead make a show of contrasting their statements as though they are equally true and it was an even battle. And, we'll see some kind of big-ass red herring to call attention away from it.


Offtopic: I thought debunking necessitated facts? saying "no, it's not", "i read a (unnamed) report..." or "i spoke to a (male/female) voter" isn't debunking, IMHO and Obama is as guilty as romney about it. Maybe they just love saying they meet people.

The debate wasn't all that interesting, the only 2 moments i thought "well, it should get interesting now" were when Obama got (to me) visibly upset about Solyndra, his face got like f*cking thunder and when Romney giggled after saying "if i'm elected i'll get rid of Obamacare and we'll replace it with the plan i enacted in MA", even though he had said, moments earlier, that what he did on MA was fine 'cause it was a state thing and not a federal thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
I expect full load of threads with *tards* coming up soon.


:lol:

סוכר must keep earning those cheques from the DNC.
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 376

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Koala Kid wrote:
I expect full load of threads with *tards* coming up soon.


:lol:

סוכר must keep earning those cheques from the DNC.


צוקער :wink:
_________________
Digital Gunfire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
Muso wrote:
Koala Kid wrote:
I expect full load of threads with *tards* coming up soon.


:lol:

סוכר must keep earning those cheques from the DNC.


צוקער :wink:


I guessed before I looked it up 8)
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just turned on MSNBC for 10 minutes, and they seem to still be freaking out and trying to figure out how to spin it around over the next couple of days (might have been recorded earlier).

Chris Matthews was going off. His hair was in disarray, and he was in obvious emotional distress. He was ranting that Obama needs to watch MSNBC because they understand this stuff and have it all figured out. He repeated that several times. :lol:

The conversation seemed to revolve around, "why didn't he say this", and "why didn't he say that" (all typical MSNBC talkign points). What they don't seem to realize is that those are all misrepresentations of the truth or outright lies. You don't do that in a debate, because then you give the other guy the opportunity to respond to your misleading talking point, and then you can't use it anymore.

Rachel Maddow was claiming that Jim Lehrer let Romney "walk all over him" and refused to be stopped. That dog won't hunt either, because people timed them. CNN even had a clock right on the screen showing how much time each had been allowed to speak, and Romney was given only 47% of the time, to Obama's 53%. Obama got a full 4:26 more than Romney.

This is what happens, people, when you drink your own Kool Aid; you don't know where the lies stop and reality begins.

Al Sharpton was the lone voice of optimism, hinting that the left-wing pseudo-fact-checkers and media will manage to twist this into an Obama victory over the next couple of days of Orwellian mind control; but I think in this case, they won't get away with that either.
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.


Last edited by Bones McCracker on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
The conversation seemed to revolve around, "why didn't he say this", and "why didn't he say that" (all typical MSNBC talkign points). What they don't seem to realize is that those are all misrepresentations of the truth or outright lies. You don't do that in a debate, because then you give the other guy the opportunity to respond to your misleading talking point, and then you can't use it anymore.


Maybe it works in their social circles, in a form of moronical, yet socially accepted way of confusing an argument with who is most pig-headed.

Come to think of it, it reminds of some Obama supporters one can encounter on interwebs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
The conversation seemed to revolve around, "why didn't he say this", and "why didn't he say that" (all typical MSNBC talkign points). What they don't seem to realize is that those are all misrepresentations of the truth or outright lies. You don't do that in a debate, because then you give the other guy the opportunity to respond to your misleading talking point, and then you can't use it anymore.


Maybe it works in their social circles, in a form of moronical, yet socially accepted way of confusing an argument with who is most pig-headed.

Come to think of it, it reminds of some Obama supporters one can encounter on interwebs.

All social groups function as "echo chambers" to some degree. But in the case of the White House and MSNBC, it has become full-on Moronic Lemming Syndrome. They are actually flabbergasted. What just slapped them in the face was such a departure from their version of reality they are like a bunch of Robbie the Robots, flailing their robot arms, bouncing off each other, and going, "Does not compute!! Does not compute!!! Danger, Will Robinson!!"

The other thing that was interesting was the twitter feed scrolling beneath MSNBC's news window tonight. It is always full of "Romney sucks!", "Bush's fault!", "Obama the gratess!", "Romney such a lier!", "Romney shiped job oversea!", and the like. Tonight, it was like they had been invaded.
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw the first little bit.

romney's simplifying the tax code seems smart. Although, BK posted recently that his proposals will be revenue neutral, and reduce the taxes of high income earners slightly.

deductions have to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American news headlines are teh funney.

Massacre leaves liberals in tears

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/massacre_leaves_liberals_in_tears_oHzj12IcI5XIZDbO4dGQ4K

The audacity of Romney

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/matt-miller-the-audacity-of-romney/2012/10/04/4ff3364e-0de7-11e2-bd1a-b868e65d57eb_story.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romney is a lying sack of shit. A lot of people seem to be saying that he "won" the debate simply because he managed to stay on his feet through 90 minutes of polite debate (why no mention of Bane's tax returns..?) but his policies don't add up and that's what's going to count. If your campaign is based on a bad economic performance it helps to have a plan of your own.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 456
Location: /US/Illinois

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:

Absolutely not. I can see it now...

Quote:
Anderson Cooper: Mr President, you will be representing the side of manned space exploration. Governor Romney, you will be representing the side of unmanned exploration. Mr President, your opening statement, please.

Obama: Herp.

Cooper: And Governor Romney, your response?

Romney: Derp.
This had me laughing out loud for quite a while.
_________________
Bastiat wrote:
“The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t


Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 658

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Romney was the more effective presenter. The President rambled a bit more; Romney's points seemed a bit more succinct, for the most part.

I think Romney handled himself well against the President's claims against his tax plan. Every time Obama brought it up, Romney calmly denied it. Unfortunately, I don't know how he is going to make it work. The President's point about the arithmetic went unanswered (i.e. that getting rid of ALL deductions wouldn't close the gap left by the cuts). The one detail Romney gave was the remark about "pick a number, and limit all total deductions to that", but I don't see how that can work without raising taxes on the middle class. Also, Romney's point about how he is simply not going to approve a tax plan that increases the deficit or lowers upper income taxes is mutually exclusive to the limited details he's given. So the President's point stands although Romney was more effective about arguing his point.

Also, this debate focused on Romney's strong points, the economy and deficit. When it gets to gay rights, women's rights, immigration, I think Obama will do better.
_________________
long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitt Romney makes smooth shift to center in debate with Obama

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-debate-analysis-20121004,0,6880255.story

:lol: Obama got rickrolled!

Obama came prepared for a right-wing nut-job but instead faced a reasonable centrist. I'm just paraphrasing what I read somewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been drinking too much of their own Kool Aid. They have been portraying him as an extremist, but they forgot that's just a strawman, and in debates, the other guy gets to respond.

@mcgruff: the "Tax Policy Center" is a Democrat operation. Quoting them is about as credible as quoting the Obama campaign.

Also, it's pretty funny hearing Obama talk about "math" and deficits after his campaign promises and actual performance in that regard. It's like the siphyllitic town hooker trying to gossip about some girl's skirt being too short.
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
@mcgruff: the "Tax Policy Center" is a Democrat operation. Quoting them is about as credible as quoting the Obama campaign.


Romney is lying. He's lying about his plans for the economy and he's lying about the "studies" which support them. Deal with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 02 Jan 2003
Posts: 1593
Location: Gentoo64 land

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one thing that really stuck in my consciousness during the debates was when Romney said he would reduce government spending by consolidating agencies and through "attrition".

from an employee standpoint, attrition is generally viewed negatively.

from an employer standpoint its the greatest b/c employees that leave on their own volition aren't owed anything.

but attrition is hard to predict and a fairly ruthless practice. and its successful-ness would depend largely on the private sector absorbing those people which is also hard to predict.

maybe attrition is one of the best avenues to tangibly reducing the USian government's size, i haven't put enough thought into it.

but i'm cynical in that i didn't hear anything from either that made me think either wants to reduce the USian government juggernaut in any meaningful way in relation to domestic policies.

p.s. obama did get smoked on the solyndra shit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
The conversation seemed to revolve around, "why didn't he say this", and "why didn't he say that" (all typical MSNBC talkign points). What they don't seem to realize is that those are all misrepresentations of the truth or outright lies. You don't do that in a debate, because then you give the other guy the opportunity to respond to your misleading talking point, and then you can't use it anymore.


Maybe it works in their social circles, in a form of moronical, yet socially accepted way of confusing an argument with who is most pig-headed.

Come to think of it, it reminds of some Obama supporters one can encounter on interwebs.

obama's campaign manager probably told him to cut out the talking points because the dems are going to vote for him anyways and that shit just angers independents (the voters he needs).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
the one thing that really stuck in my consciousness during the debates was when Romney said he would reduce government spending by consolidating agencies and through "attrition".

from an employee standpoint, attrition is generally viewed negatively.

from an employer standpoint its the greatest b/c employees that leave on their own volition aren't owed anything.

but attrition is hard to predict and a fairly ruthless practice. and its successful-ness would depend largely on the private sector absorbing those people which is also hard to predict.

maybe attrition is one of the best avenues to tangibly reducing the USian government's size, i haven't put enough thought into it.

but i'm cynical in that i didn't hear anything from either that made me think either wants to reduce the USian government juggernaut in any meaningful way in relation to domestic policies.

p.s. obama did get smoked on the solyndra shit.

i have a friend who works for lockheed. they were doing a systems installation for the government over the course of a few months. they'd come on site early and bust their asses all day, while the government workers would get there and play farmville all day. one of the bigwigs of the office got a complaint that federal computers were being used for non-government things, so everyone switched to playing angry birds on their phones. it wasn't one or two feds doing this... it was damn near the entire office. it wasn't EVERYONE though... some people would literally come in, put their head down on their desk with one of those airline pillows, and go to sleep most of the day. this all happens because it's virtually impossible to get fired from government jobs. he's had multiple on-site jobs and they're all like this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call BS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
i have a friend who works for lockheed. they were doing a systems installation for the government over the course of a few months. they'd come on site early and bust their asses all day, while the government workers would get there and play farmville all day. one of the bigwigs of the office got a complaint that federal computers were being used for non-government things, so everyone switched to playing angry birds on their phones. it wasn't one or two feds doing this... it was damn near the entire office. it wasn't EVERYONE though... some people would literally come in, put their head down on their desk with one of those airline pillows, and go to sleep most of the day. this all happens because it's virtually impossible to get fired from government jobs. he's had multiple on-site jobs and they're all like this.


Pretty much sums experience of anyone coming from private sector working in governmentland on a consultant / contract basis.

The reason is very simple, private companies operate on their profit and have to be efficient. Governmental agencies operate on budget, and have to spend the budget in order to get equal or greater amount next term. They don't go bust, and because of that, they are psychologically decoupled from the performance-survival correlation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
I call BS.

You are an expert on the subject.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Romney is a lying sack of shit. A lot of people seem to be saying that he "won" the debate simply because he managed to stay on his feet through 90 minutes of polite debate (why no mention of Bane's tax returns..?) but his policies don't add up and that's what's going to count. If your campaign is based on a bad economic performance it helps to have a plan of your own.


And Obama's policies are working? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wipe the Kool Aid off your chin, you are drooling again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is in fact doing OK but you won't hear that on Fox News.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum