View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually quite impressed by Romney. Mr Flip-Flop managed to get through a whole 90 minutes without changing his position on anything. Is that a record?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitt Romney Is Absolutely Destroying Obama In Tonight's Presidential Debate

Quote:
Republican nominee Mitt Romney has clearly been practicing for tonight's presidential debate.

He really hit his stride in the second 15-minute segment of the debate, when the questions turned to the issue of the debt and the federal deficit.

Asked about the deficit, President Barack Obama launched into a pseudo-rambling spiel attacking Romney on everything from Big Energy subsidies, to refusing to raise taxes on the highest income earners, to tax breaks that go to companies moving jobs overseas.

But Romney was ready for all of it.

Asked to respond, Romney shook his head, "Well, he covered a lot of topics there."

Then he turned the energy subsidies attack right around, calling Obama out for clean-energy loan failures like Solyndra: "I have a friend who says, you don't pick winners and losers, you just pick losers."

And then came Romney's real coup, on Obama's claim that businesses get tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas: "I've been in business for 25 years, and I have no idea what you're talking about."

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
I was actually quite impressed by Romney. Mr Flip-Flop managed to get through a whole 90 minutes without changing his position on anything. Is that a record?

:lol:

Obama is a far bigger flip-flopper. That's why that term hasn't come up; they are both guilty of it.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Obama is getting spanked. I didn't know Romney had this in him, but he seems to be in his element.

BoneKracker 4 years ago wrote:
I give this one to McCain.
I'm kind of surprised. It was like watching some pup getting schooled.

Déjà vu. :wink:

Yeah. Four years of déjà vu.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Events tonight, ranked in order of pathetic-ness:

(3) The presidential debate
(2) The talking head analysis of the debate on TV
(1) The "my guy kicked your guy's ass" posts on FGO
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I noticed that too, he's going to be mocked mercilessly for that alone.
SNL will probably catch it. Their best was with Dukakis. Though they've been pretty horrible since Feral & crew.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And then came Romney's real coup, on Obama's claim that businesses get tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas: "I've been in business for 25 years, and I have no idea what you're talking about."
THAT is a coup? It sounds more like "Nuh uh!" The "50 years worth of tax credits" you mentioned earlier seems much more of a coup.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuters gives it to Romney
Quote:
(Reuters) - Mitt Romney accused President Barack Obama on Wednesday of promoting "trickle-down government" policies that are burdening the U.S. economy, as the Republican candidate sought to use a high-stakes debate to right his struggling campaign before the November 6 presidential election.

As polls showed Obama with a slight edge among voters, Romney was the aggressor throughout the 90-minute encounter between the two rivals at the University of Denver.

The two men, standing side-by-side for the first time after months of brutal campaign attacks hurled at each other, clashed over taxes, healthcare and the role of government, reflecting the deep ideological divide in Washington.

Appearing poised and well-prepared, Romney zeroed in on weak economic growth and 8.1 percent unemployment that has left Obama vulnerable in his effort to win a second four-year term.

"Now, I'm concerned that we're on the path that's just been unsuccessful. The president has a view very similar to the one he had when he ran for office four years ago, that spending more, taxing more, regulating more, if you will, trickle-down government would work. That's not the right answer for America," Romney said.

The debate saw no haymaker punches thrown and not much in the way of one-line zingers. Instead, it was a war of attrition as each man used facts and figures to make his points and stress the differences between them.

Romney, however, may have done himself some favors with crisper answers than Obama, who sounded professorial and a bit long-winded despite his staff's best efforts to get him to give snappier comments.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/04/us-usa-campaign-idUSBRE88N13D20121004
big dave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnn's analysts keep saying obama got stomped and they claimed even obama's campaign manager was admitting romney won. multiple analysts and anchors, including liberal anderson cooper, agreed that obama got his shit pushed in. the only analyst who defended obama was a black guy who tried to harp on bane and the 47% remark and they even cut him off.

the energy quip was a HUGE hit to obama though... obama is counting a couple billion a year in tax subsidies (which would otherwise be charged directly to consumers) as a downside, when romney hit back with obama's green energy plan which is 50 years worth not of tax subsidies, but actual tax dollars already taken from americans.

Last edited by big dave on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC

Quote:
Mr Romney was animated, in command of his information, overriding the moderator and interrupting the president, says BBC North America editor Mark Mardell.

On the other hand, President Obama started out looking nervous, and although he warmed up and found his stride he gave long, mini-lectures rather than engaging and arguing, our correspondent says.

Wednesday's debate at the University of Denver was the first time voters across the US had the chance to see Mr Obama and Mr Romney on stage together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19810203
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
cnn's analysts keep saying obama got stomped and they claimed even obama's campaign manager was admitting romney won. multiple analysts and anchors, including liberal anderson cooper, agreed that obama got his shit pushed in. the only analyst who defended obama was a black guy who tried to harp on bane and the 47% remark and they even cut him off.

the energy quip was a HUGE hit to obama though... obama is counting a couple billion a year in tax subsidies (which would otherwise be charged directly to consumers) as a downside, when romney hit back with obama's green energy plan which is 50 years worth not of tax subsidies, but actual tax dollars already taken from americans.

He also got his "shit pushed in" on Medicare, his lies about Romney wanting to raise taxes on the middle class and give tax breaks to millionaires, his lack of understanding of the role of economic stimulation in balancing the budget, his lies that Romney wants to take away student loans, on the middle class being worse off now than at the bottom of the recession, and on unemployment.

It was like "the emperor has no propaganda clothes".

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all gotta understand that debates of these kinds do not serve as much as new information on which to base your voting decisions, but as a polarisation agent for increasing your already existing bias.

If you wan't to hear something new, watch Terence McKenna "Shamans among the Machines".

You're welcome. 8)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of independent voters make up their minds based on the debates. They have been credited with altering the course of several U.S. presidential elections.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hill usually calls it like it is and offers meaningful insight.
Quote:
Mitt Romney dominated the critical first presidential debate Wednesday night, landing punch after punch on a noticeably subdued President Obama.

The GOP nominee came into the evening needing to shake up the narrative of the race and he appeared to succeed.
Throughout the 90-minute debate, the first showdown of the presidential contest, Romney aggressively questioned the president's record while defending his own economic priorities. Meanwhile, as Obama offered a safe defense of his record and policies, Romney often interrupted and seemed eager to engage.

He spent the evening on the offensive and came off well-prepared for his encounter with Obama, who seemed hesitant and forced.
Quote:
Despite polls regularly showing that voters see the president as more empathetic and concerned with the problems facing American families, it was Romney who spoke empathetically of the effect of the still-lagging economy on individuals struggling to find work.

There was also a notable contrast in style: Obama spent much of the debate looking directly into the camera, a strategy planned by his campaign to speak directly to the American people, while Romney addressed the president head-on.

Conservatives were exuberant following the debate, saying Romney had successfully captured the moment, while several Democrats and even some of the president’s staunchest supporters were disappointed in Obama's performance.

“He was rolled,” said one former administration official.

Obama’s top strategist David Axelrod, added, “There’s no doubt he has a hungry challenger.”

“Gov. Romney's always been good on the attack," Axelrod told NBC News, conceding he would award Romney "style points."

Liberal MSNBC anchor Ed Schultz, along with a panel of other left-leaning pundits appearing on the network, said the president was disappointing.

And former adviser to President Bill Clinton, James Carville, speaking on CNN, said that he had "one overwhelming impression": "It looked like Romney wanted to be there and President Obama didn't want to be there […] it gave you the impression that this whole thing was a lot of trouble," adding that "Romney had a good night."

A CBS News snap poll of undecided voters conducted after the debate concluded found that those on the fence generally agreed with the pundits. Of those surveyed, 46 percent gave the win to Romney, 22 percent to the president, and 32 percent called the contest a draw.
Quote:
Romney again pounced on Obama's comments, saying,‬ "I can't understand how you can cut Medicare $716 billion for current recipients for Medicare."

Obama's subdued performance could throw back into question a race that for months has shown him with a consistent yet small lead.

http://thehill.com/video/campaign/260147-aggressive-romney-blasts-obama-for-his-qtrickle-down-governmentq

He's subdued because he knows there's nothing he can say. His record sucks, and here he can't get away as well with the lies, smears, and propaganda he normally relies upon.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's from the guy who famously said, after the first debate last election, that Obama "made a tingle go up his thigh", and who has been one of Obama's most outspoken (some would say fanatical) supporters.
Quote:
Chris Matthews unloads on Obama’s debate performance

MSNBC host Chris Matthews unloaded on President Obama’s debate performance Wednesday night and said the president endured a thumping from Mitt Romney.

“I don’t know what he was doing out there, he had his head down, he was enduring the debate rather than fighting it,” Matthews said of Obama on MSNBC shortly after the debate in Denver ended.
Quote:
“Where was Obama tonight?” Matthews asked incredulously.

“What was he doing tonight? He went in there disarmed. He was like, I’ll wait an hour and a half, and I can get through this thing.”

“Whereas Romney … staring at Obama, addressing him like the prey. He did it just right. I’m coming at an incumbent, I gotta beat him, you gotta beat the champ, and I’m gonna beat him tonight.”

“What was Romney doing? He was winning!”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/260181-chris-matthews-unloads-on-obamas-debate-performance
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
BBC

Quote:
Obama [...] gave long, mini-lectures rather than engaging and arguing
He doesn't have a history of answering questions, he has a history of evading questions. If he continues to do that, he'll be constipated for months, at least as far as the debates are concerned.

It'll be interesting to see how and if he/they can maneuver him away from evading and lecturing and onto substance. I'm also going to be curious how they handle the transition from blaming Bush. That doesn't seem likely to be effective in debating.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how and if he/they can maneuver him away from evading and lecturing and onto substance. I'm also going to be curious how they handle the transition from blaming Bush. That doesn't seem likely to be effective in debating.

Well, the thing is, while Bush has been imho inarguably bad, Obama could only get elected on that basis, but now he has his own not-so-stellar track record against him, and all of a sudden he has nothing to say. Piggy-backing on Dubya could only get him so far, much in the same way the people who support Obama have no arguments other then "remember Bush?" left.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. It may be fine when answering softball questions by the media, but in a debate, it is going to put off a lot of the non 47%ers.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2004 they all gave it to John Kerry.

Of course this means we'll all hear how much more Obama is likable.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I predict Obama will do is double-down on the propaganda and lies, knowing that most of the American public is too pathetically ignorant and lemming-like to watch the debates and make up their own minds, and banking on the media to shield him by spinning the results.

Tomorrow, we will see "fact checking Romney", claiming that half the things he said were lies, while overlooking the few huge and obvious ones Obama floated (and the fact that he got his dick knocked in the dirt repeatedly when he tried them). We'll see no change to the attack ads claiming the same things that were just debunked in front of the entire Nation. We'll see coverage even in the more serious media avoid highlighting Obama's crappy performance in the debate, and instead make a show of contrasting their statements as though they are equally true and it was an even battle. And, we'll see some kind of big-ass red herring to call attention away from it.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

He didn't look "likeable" to me. He looked like some kid who just realized he can't get his pecker out of a bottle and everybody's going to know.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

That's because Kerry murdered Bush in the first debate.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you mean Kerry went overboard?
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean Bush sucked.
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect full load of threads with *tards* coming up soon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: