First Install on a G5, yaboot problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainRabies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: First Install on a G5, yaboot problems Reply with quote

I've been attempting to get Gentoo up and running on my old dual 2.3 G5, and am very close. I have gotten yaboot to run on startup, but it cannot find the kernel I compiled.
I need a second pair of eyes (and likely the wisdom of experience) to make it all happen. Here goes:

My kernel is located on an ext4 filesystem in partition 4 of my hard disk. I am under the impression yaboot can use such a system, but I am aware that in the past it could not. This may be my first issue.
The second issue I'm having is that yabootconfig will not run, so I've been forced to write my own file. Please take a look at it:

Code:

boot=/dev/sda2
device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0
partition=4

delay=5
timeout=60
defaultos=linux

install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

image=/boot/kernel-3.4.9-gentoo
   label=Gentoo
   root=/dev/sda4
   partition=4
   read-only

enablecdboot
enableofboot

I believe I'm telling yaboot everything it needs to know, but then I would be doing more research if I didn't think I'd done my homework.

On startup, I am guided to a menu which tells me to press keys for GNU, OSX, and something else. I can't really tell you, my monitor's input icon covers it, and it's only there for a few moments before it tells me it's loading the second-stage bootstrap.
Then, I get this:
Code:

Welcome to yaboot, version 1.3.17
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
boot: Gentoo
Please wait, loading kernel...
hd:4,/boot/kernel-3.4.9-gentoo: No such file or directory
boot: _

I promise, that kernel exists (it glows green when I ask "ls" about it.).

I am very close to buying Chic-fil-a to appease your god-cow Larry so he will bless my box. Any other suggestions would be supremely appreciated.
fr3eatlast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just install Gentoo on my son's G4 and I had to change the root line in the yaboot config file to
Code:
root=/dev/hda4
because when I tried to use /dev/sda4 it gave me the same error that you are getting.

I don't really have much experience with Gentoo on ppc though, but thought I would share what worked for me.
CaptainRabies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Update 10/8 Reply with quote

Thankyou for your response fr3eatlast. Unfortunately I've tried every iteration I can think of to make your solution work, but that just doesn't seem to be the problem. Found this out the hard way.

Update: After much head scratching, I believe the real problem is that my kernel is hosted on an ext4 filesystem. Yaboot supports booting from an HFS+ (apple's filesystem) and ext2 (the baseline linux system), but essentially nothing else (please correct me if I'm wrong). I believe I have three options here:
A) Start over from scratch, making at least the partition which contains the kernel an ext2 filesystem. Not desired.
B) Download a liveCD of UbuntuPPC, and use Gparted to resize my main partition, carve out an ext2 (or HFS+) partition, and copy a kernel over to it. Point yaboot at it, tell the kernel where to look for the root filesystem, voila. Although likely to work, this feels somewhat like cheating to me.
C) Grub2. I hear it supports PPC now, and I've heard some success stories, notably this guy: http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog/posts/running_grub2_on_powerpc_macs/
Does anyone out there, besides him, have experience with compiling a smallish Grub2? Can it be done from the minimal CD's environment?
fr3eatlast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even think of the fact that your root file system is on an ext4 partition. If I remember correctly you are right and yaboot can only boot from ext2, ext3 and hfs. I don't have any experience with grub2 on ppc, so I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I'm still learning about gentoo on ppc.

Imho, your best bet would be to carve out a small partition with a live cd of your choice and point yaboot towards it, even if it does feel like cheating :wink:
CaptainRabies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Family sayings Reply with quote

Addendum to Murphy's law: Everything has already gone wrong, you just don't know about it yet.

The filesystem malarkey was in fact the problem. I have my kernels on an ext2 partition, and I've managed to successfully point yaboot at them, and they assume control. This problem is officially fixed. I'll post a new topic elsewhere for the next one. Thanks for the ideas! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: