Software RAID on newer Xeon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CptPajamas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Software RAID on newer Xeon Reply with quote

All;

I've installed software RAID Gentoo many times, but I've never run into what is currently happening on this install. I'm going through the standard stage3 deal and upon creating the autodetect RAID partitions with fdisk, the OS starts syncing the drive (in its entirety) and not individual partitions automatically. (By syncing them automatically I'm also unable to specify metadata=0.90).

It lists the MD DEV as md126, and partitions as md126p1-3. I'm doing a mount bind for /dev when I chroot to the install.

I can format and mount the RAID1 partitions fine, but when it comes to a Grub install, it fails regardless of specifying sda[b]1, device (hd0) /dev/md126 or whatever I've tried to do and fails with a 22 No Such Partition error message. I'm installing 0.97, and it registers the FS on the partition just fine, and finds stage1 and stage2.

Any recommendations on how to get Grub installed and booting here would be very helpful, even if I'm pulling an idiot move and skipping some easy step that I'm overlooking.

Thanks!
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: did you do a mdadm --create on the entire disk device? Reply with quote

I'm going through a btrfs based mirrored system root exercise here and have /boot on a simple mirror set getting set up for that. It sounds like your mdadm --create specified the full devices (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb) and not individual partitions.

The wiki entry I'm doing as I go along is no where near being done yet, but you might glean something from the md prep work up front. Btrfs_system_root
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Software RAID on newer Xeon Reply with quote

CptPajamas wrote:
the OS starts syncing the drive (in its entirety) and not individual partitions

That's 0.90 metadata for you.

It's at the end of the device. If you have a partition that goes up to the end of the drive, the 0.90 metadata stored at the end of the partition is at the same time also stored at the end of the drive. So it could mean either (the partition is the RAID, or the entire drive is the RAID).

The workaround for that particular issue is to repartition the drive to leave a few MB at the end unallocated (i.e. shrink the last partition). Then --zero-superblock the drive to get rid of the old superblock at the end. That way the drive in its entirety will no longer considered RAID, and it will start seeing the partitions instead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: