Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Goodbye Gentoo.... well.... not really ;)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Goodbye Gentoo.... well.... not really ;) Reply with quote

A while back (6 months or so), I've decided to run Windows 7 and Ubuntu to see if my stress level goes down in computing.... and it did. So it looks like in my desktop environment I will be staying away from Gentoo.

However, I have two servers here at the house running Gentoo, and I don't believe they will be running anything else if I have anything to do with it!

I've been really impressed with Gentoo in the server environment. It's fast, minimal, direct, and works quite well even through upgrades. Where it seems to fail for me is all the package updates for a desktop environment. It just seems to go on forever. On a terminal server I could go nearly a year without updating and not face many consequences (besides security holes of course). On my desktop, if I go a year without updating, I'm looking at a week+ to get things back to normal when I start the update process.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Gentoo, far from it. I just think I found the perfect balance between using a computer and computer management for desktop and server environments. It's that old saying: "When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail." Gentoo isn't a perfect fit for everything for me, but it seems to fit my home server environments perfectly.

Also a quick thanks to the Gentoo development team, you made my servers!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my interests in ZFS is for snapshots. Taking weekly snapshots (maybe more) of the portage tree could ease overdue updates. I've had major problems even after 6 months.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Gentoo.... well.... not really ;) Reply with quote

Try Sabayon on your desktop.
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
One of my interests in ZFS is for snapshots. Taking weekly snapshots (maybe more) of the portage tree could ease overdue updates. I've had major problems even after 6 months.

ZFS is fantastic! Time for it to be in Portage for real... I use an overlay currently.

OP: Do you like Fedora as a desktop OS?
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clete2 wrote:
pjp wrote:

ZFS is fantastic! Time for it to be in Portage for real... I use an overlay currently.

People are working on it in IRC.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clete2 wrote:
pjp wrote:

Nope, I'm actually downloading Gentoo again now. Seems like after time, any linux distro starts to have different issues in the same frequency.
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using Ubuntu at work, but at some pointed it started to be infuriating instead of smooth and easy.
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Gentoo.... well.... not really ;) Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:

On my desktop, if I go a year without updating,

This is a bad idea, but not because you are running Gentoo, but for purposes of security.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu sucks moose cock.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: