Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Does it mean that mediatomb will be removed from my system.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Does it mean that mediatomb will be removed from my system. Reply with quote

Hello,

I did a refresh of my systems and got the following message :
Quote:
# Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> (25 Sep 2012)
# Multiple build failures: #435394, #423991 and #425806
# Other bugs: #270830, #368409
# Unmasking would require addressing the build failure bugs
# Removal in 30 days

Does it means that the 1st refresh I will do after a month will remove mediatomb ?
And if so, I can I keep it ?
(otherwise, I'll have some trouble w/ my kids :P )
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

destroyedlolo,

Nope. If you have mediatomb installed and working, it will stay installed.
The mediatomb ebuild will be removed from the tree and the source files will be removed from the Gentoo mirrors.

If nobody maintains the source code, eventually bit rot will set in and your install will no longer work as it will depend on things that have been updated.
Portage will detect this and keep old bits and pieces just for mediatomb, if it can.

Notice that mediatomb has several build failures, so it no longer installs for anyone on Gentoo in its current state.

You can keep the ebuild if you wish - you need to move it to your local overlay. The handbook describes the process.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your replies.

dmpogo wrote:
Well, installed version will not be removed from your computer, as long as you do not blindly do emerge --depclean.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Nope. If you have mediatomb installed and working, it will stay installed.
The mediatomb ebuild will be removed from the tree and the source files will be removed from the Gentoo mirrors.

Even with --depclean as Dmpogo mentionned ?

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Notice that mediatomb has several build failures, so it no longer installs for anyone on Gentoo in its current state.

You can keep the ebuild if you wish - you need to move it to your local overlay. The handbook describes the process.

I installed Mediatomb recently and didn't face any issue. But I'm not using all goodies ...If I succeeded to create a good ebuild but w/o things I don't use (like mysql), can it be made public or only full featured ebuild are accepted. Because all in all, mediatomb is a very good and useful tool :D

dmpogo wrote:
Seems like soon I'll have to relearn again ./configure, make, make install manual installation into /usr/local as in pre-Gentoo days.

Not a problem for me, my /usr/local already contains some stuffs for which ebuild doesn't exists (i.e, recent luarock), or I had to patch to make them working with recents libraries (xtrkcad), + my own things.
So I still knowing :D
Balancer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have successfully compiled Mediatomb few days ago.
Code:

Installed versions:  0.12.1-r2{tbz2}(15:47:50 23.09.2012)(exif ffmpeg inotify javascript lastfm libextractor mp4 mysql taglib thumbnail -debug)

And it works perfectly.

I don't understand why Samuli Suominen plans removal in 30 days this popular package from portage.

Sorry for the terrible English.
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't understand why Samuli Suominen plans removal in 30 days this popular package from portage.

That is standard procedure.

And looking at mediatomb itself: the last release dates from April 2010 (2.5 years ago), which is ancient in opensource.
And there does not seems to be any active devlopment (judging from the page).

just my .02$
V.
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veldrin wrote:
which is ancient in opensource.

Well, not always true : as soon as the product is stable, doing its jobs and still working ... sometime no release came but the tool is still used as it is. As example, I issued some tools in the late 80' for Amiga platform that is still used by Amiga freaks ... and the last release is from 92 or 95.
But they're doing what they're supposed to do and are even working on latest Amiga environment (because even if the mother company discontinued, systems continues to live thanks to open-source community :) ).

Anyway, back to mediatomb, I'm open to any other alternatives (I choose it because it was the most referenced tool when googling for DLNA/uPNP server under Linux).

Last edited by destroyedlolo on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Balancer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veldrin wrote:
the last release dates from April 2010 (2.5 years ago), which is ancient in opensource

But it works perfectly in Gentoo and other distros.
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! It looks like it may have picked up a new Gentoo maintainer, who uses it often. I saw that on the Gentoo-dev mail list. Seems like it's been saved from extinction.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/80440/match=mediatomb
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

destroyedlolo wrote:
Anyway, back to mediatomb, I'm open to any other alternatives (I choose it because it was the most referenced tool when googling for DLNA/uPNP server under Linux).
I use minidlna. Works fine, setup is super simple - just have to change the directory it loads media from and `rc-update add minidlna default`.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
destroyedlolo wrote:
I use minidlna. Works fine, setup is super simple - just have to change the directory it loads media from and `rc-update add minidlna default`.

minidlna does not have the ability to recode the steam on the fly - which is one of the most important features of mediatomb. Especially when your TV is picky about formats :)

Looking at the list of 5 bugs mentioned in the removal notice, 4 were really minor and are already fixed, the left open one is the build failure against libav.
Given that libav is essentially fork of ffmpeg, and mediatomb builds fine agains ffmpeg, I do not understand at all this desire to remove it, even if libav build will require more work.
opotonil
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody has proved pDLNA, it seems one valid alternative (maintained):
- http://www.pdlna.com/cgi-bin/index.pl

Or Llink:
- http://www.lundman.net/wiki/index.php/Llink
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: