Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Who makes apps for Windows phone 7?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will we see a lot of (winRT) apps for W8?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7

dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Who makes apps for Windows phone 7? Reply with quote

Everyone knows it's a failure, and I bet everyone knew it was a failure from the start, and it never picked up.

But still, overtime, it has 100,000 apps.

So I was wondering who were making apps for them... fanboy Windows devs? If so, they must be having a shitload of them; that's why we got like 100,000 apps...

To add more disappointments, WP 7 is being abandoned. So the same devs have to port apps to WP 8 which's still considerable amount of work (porting to WinRT with that UI); so all this switching up trend should discourage Windows devs and buyers also (cause you want upgrade a Windows 7 device).

But I doubt that'll happen, following the long tail of fanboys Microsoft has. What do you say? For starters, W8 store already has 1500 apps; and these are cross platform (i.e both x86 and ARM).
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wager most of the developers working on windows mobile are paid for by large enterprises that bought into the Windows Buzz a long time ago and trying hard not to abandon that decision. At least that's the only reason I can come up with when comparing Windows Mobile to iOS or even Android.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokia showed the way!
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Nokia showed the way!
which is extremely sad. their old symbian phones and the stuff before that were extremely awesome :S

dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Symbian not considered a smartphone?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
Why is Symbian not considered a smartphone?

It is?
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going by what IT journalists say (any propitiatory OS except Android maybe cause they don't know it's opensourced), I define a smart OS which has it's own API and an application store.

So, according to my definition, Symbian may not be a smartphone, since it uses QT (C++) apps which are cross platform. I doubt you can have control over the actual OS with it's specific API.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
Not going by what IT journalists say (any propitiatory OS except Android maybe cause they don't know it's opensourced), I define a smart OS which has it's own API and an application store.

So, according to my definition, Symbian may not be a smartphone, since it uses QT (C++) apps which are cross platform. I doubt you can have control over the actual OS with it's specific API.
that made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
dE_logics wrote:

++

I read it twice at work and just thought that I'm so tired and it's time to go home :lol:
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
mdeininger wrote:
dE_logics wrote:

++

I read it twice at work and just thought that I'm so tired and it's time to go home :lol:
:lol: agreed, except in my case s/go home/go to the bedroom/ :).

danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
which is extremely sad. their old symbian phones and the stuff before that were extremely awesome :S

I was looking at the Lumia 900 (we don't have the 920 here yet), it looks like it's a really nice phone. Really. It's very responsive and stuff. The problem is I had an old Windows phone quite a while back, and it sucked big hairy ones. After the experience I had with it, there's just simply no way I'll buy another Windows phone. If someone gave me one, I'd probably use it. I'm not spending $500 to try though.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

I was looking at the Lumia 900 (we don't have the 920 here yet), it looks like it's a really nice phone. Really. It's very responsive and stuff. The problem is I had an old Windows phone quite a while back, and it sucked big hairy ones. After the experience I had with it, there's just simply no way I'll buy another Windows phone. If someone gave me one, I'd probably use it. I'm not spending $500 to try though.
same here. also, working with windows libraries usually ain't fun at all and knowing my luck, I'd get customers asking me to write windows mobile apps the moment I get a device like that.

dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
mdeininger wrote:
dE_logics wrote:

++

Well, I tried to 'sync' my definition of smartphone with what the world says... but it doesn't make sense humm...

Maybe it's not a smartphone cause you can't replace basic apps like the dialer, contacts, filemanager etc... with custom ones cause it's an integral part of the OS.

But by this definition, only rooted Android phones are smart... :P
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

Oh, it'll slow down with time you ... :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: