View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Mouse focus behaves strange, events get ignored Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the following setup: ThinkPad T410 with a docking station which has mouse, keyboard and an extra monitor connected. this setup worked for quite a long time. but somehow with the last updates, I got a very strange issue, that I cannot track down. And as I have no clue, what really causes it, I cannot find anything in the forums/google.

here it goes: sometimes, when I open a new program/window, the mouse events stop working for other windows and also my window manager (awesome). for example: I use the mouse in firefox to navigate somewhere, suddenly i cannot change desktops by clicking on the pager, but changing by keyboard works. there on the other keyboard it's the same with other programs.

sometimes, i get this errors of a gtk program in the console (but also none gtk programs don't react on mouse events):

Code:
(evince:26939): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_events: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(evince:26939): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(evince:26939): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

i also cannot generate any mouse events in xev.

when I restart awesome (keyboard combination ctrl+meta+r) the mouse works again on any program.

I am not absolutly sure, when exactly it happens and I cannot 100% reproduce it. what I know is, that it only happens with my second monitor attached (also if only this monitor is enabled.

for me it looks like, a program is getting "mouse focus" and is then the only one reciving mouse events.

so I have some guesses:

• xinerama suppoert in awesome is in conflict with something I changed lately
  • an issue with gtk (maybe gtk+-3.x?)
  • something with nvidia drivers?!?

I am thankful for any hinds, I don't even know, what I have to debug..

[EDIT]
Some more infos:

I just had the problem, when I used only my laptop monitor, but I had the laptop in the docking station, so the other monitor was available (but disabled like xrandr --output <port> --off). When I undocked the laptop, the problem was gone. when I redocked it, it was again there.

I am trying now to install gnome-light, because I use some gnome applets and deamons. Maybe I need to update something in the gnome configuration. hope everything will be fixed after a start into a gnome-session :>

I hope this shows how lost I am. [/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
so, its not awesome, I have the same problems with metacity.

I have the feeling, that its an X problem. I will reemerge all X stuff. I am still lost here, and it's so anoying.
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
I moved my whole home directory, as I thought, there is maybe somewhere an old setting that is in conflict with a new setting.

But after 3 minutes metacity(!) had the same problems again.

So, I guess, it's somehow the new RandR support of the nvidia binary driver! There is no other posibility, but I cannot life without this. I am installing the new drivers right now.
[/EDIT3]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: