Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
tuxonice-userui-1.1 kills fbsplash (resolved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: tuxonice-userui-1.1 kills fbsplash (resolved) Reply with quote

I'm running ~amd64 on my laptop. Before you make some smart-ass sarcastic remark, I know what I'm doing is risky. However, I've been running ~arch for over 6 years and have experienced only minor issues.

That said, yesterday when I updated my system sys-apps/tuxonice-userui-1.1 was one of the packages in the cue. It built and installed as expected, however, now when I hibernate or resume from hibernation my beautiful fbsplash is missing. All I get is a black screen and nothing indicating progress. The result is similar to the standard Suspend2 hibernation on an unpatched kernel. It does succeed in properly hibernating and resuming, but I want find a way to get my fbsplash screen back.

I filed this bug report yesterday https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=439120 but I hope someone here could help point me in the right direction in getting this issue resolved.

Previous versions of tuxonice-userui installed the executables, 'tuxoniceui_text' and 'tuxoniceui_fbsplash' in '/sbin'. The new version only installs one executable, 'tuxoniceui' in '/sbin'.

Running 'tuxoniceui --help' gives the following output:

Code:
"Usage: /sbin/tuxoniceui [options]

-t, --test
     Specifying -t once will give an demo of this module.
     Specifying -t twice will make the demo run as fast as it can.
     (useful for performance testing).
  -f
     Use fbsplash interface by default.

TuxOnIce UserUI version 1.1 (modules:text )"

However, when I invoke 'tuxoniceui -f' the beautiful fbsplash I've used for a couple of years no longer works. All I get is a black screen with no verbose text or output indicating progress. It's identical if I invoke 'hibernate' from the KDE shutdown menu.

Even worse, the help and setup info in '/usr/share/doc/tuxonice-userui-1.1/' is little changed from the previous version, so is of no help in resolving this.

Previously, all one had to do with either pm-utils or laptop-mode-tools installed, is compile the patched kernel with the needed options and location of the TOI executable. Previously this was '/sbin/tuxoniceui_fbsplash'. The only other thing needed was to echo '/sbin/tuxoniceui_fbsplash' into '/sys/power/tuxonice/user_interface/program'.

I've tried recompiling my kernel with '/sbin/tuxoniceui' and '/sbin/tuxoniceui -f' as well as trying both lines in '/sys/power/tuxonice/user_interface/program' but without success.

Obviously, something in this new version is breaking compatibility with my existing fbsplash or with current userspace tools.

Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Edit: This issue has been resolved with version-1.1-r1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: