View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: MLS Outbreak in Netherlands Reply with quote

Another outbreak of MLS (Moronic Lemming Syndrome), the pandemic with which social media has blessed us.

Quote:
HAREN, Netherlands, Sept. 22 (UPI) -- A riot broke out when 3,000 people showed up for a birthday party for a 16-year-old girl who forgot to check "private" on a Facebook invitation, police said.

The girl had expected a small gathering in her hometown of Haren when she posted the invitation on Facebook, Euronews reported Saturday.

Some of the unexpected party-goers vandalized shops and looted a car before setting it on fire, and 600 police officers were sent to control the crowd.

Six people were hurt, three seriously, and 20 people were arrested.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/09/22/Guests-turn-birthday-party-into-riot/UPI-91651348336504/

Did you get that? Six hundred police officers. What kind of a society do you live in where it takes six hundred police officers to get control of a party?

When I was in college, we used to throw "Beer Bashes" where we'd have thousands of people, all drunk off their asses, high, tripping, wired, etc., and there would be like two cops there.

In the early 90's, I partied in the streets of various town in the Netherlands, and people were nice (especially that chick who let me play the tiny harmonica charm she had on her necklace -- call me). I blame social media and MLS.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: 4,000 turn up for a Facebook party and riot. Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/wewTxS2H4IM
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dupe, although the video will make a nice addition to the thread
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-937508.html
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that thread had something to do with Multiple Sclerosis.

And my thread title is better than yours.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my thread title is better, because it accomplishes something. It gets people to click on it because it looks like a scary outbreak of some disease, and that makes a Trojan horse of the mind-virus that social networking is disease-like, turning people into mindless herd animals and idiotic mobs.

Besides, it wasn't a "Facebook party".
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are largely undeserving of living. Looting, torching cars, etc. Much like when a sports team WINS and they do similar things.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek's duplicate thread goes here
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
notageek's duplicate thread goes here
:lol: :lol:

Your thread title is ambiguous.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I thought that thread had something to do with Multiple Sclerosis.

And my thread title is better than yours.
I thought it had to do with Major League Soccer.

Merged.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. BK's thread wasn't clear what it was about, therefore any thread about the event is legitimate and should be merged to it.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suck it. Ever seen pjp's thread titles? :P
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
No, my thread title is better, because it accomplishes something. It gets people to click on it because it looks like a scary outbreak of some disease, and that makes a Trojan horse of the mind-virus that social networking is disease-like, turning people into mindless herd animals and idiotic mobs.

Besides, it wasn't a "Facebook party".
quite true.

I'm still baffled as to why people start going nuts when in larger crowds. I mean, does someone just start talking to their pals like "so hey, the lass's party is too small. Let's go a-lootin'!" and then the rest is like "good idea! let's get the police involved and see if they can handle us!" ? -- I really don't get how that works.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha @ the grandpa partying in the video!
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
I'm still baffled as to why people start going nuts when in larger crowds. I mean, does someone just start talking to their pals like "so hey, the lass's party is too small. Let's go a-lootin'!" and then the rest is like "good idea! let's get the police involved and see if they can handle us!" ? -- I really don't get how that works.

++

As far as I can work out, many people are complete idiots. Even in a crowd of millions, I still know not to destroy other people's property.
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: MLS Outbreak in Netherlands Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Did you get that? Six hundred police officers. What kind of a society do you live in where it takes six hundred police officers to get control of a party?

I remember walking in the streets of Amsterdam back in 2004 and being offered drugs basically every 100 meters and two policemen peacefully riding their bicycles :lol:
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MLS Outbreak in Netherlands Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

I remember walking in the streets of Amsterdam back in 2004 and being offered drugs basically every 100 meters and two policemen peacefully riding their bicycles :lol:
ah, those were the days :twisted:

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

++

As far as I can work out, many people are complete idiots. Even in a crowd of millions, I still know not to destroy other people's property.

Groups intelligence = (IQ of most intelligent being in the group)/(Number of people)

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a mass of people go over certain size it basically resembles a herd of buffalo.

I remember back in 1990 in Yugoslavia when different parties campaigned for elections in 1991, and there were these rallies on football stadiums in every city where nationalist parties would take turns and chant their bullshit, my parents apartment was pretty close so you could hear every word.

My father and I used to sit on terrace and drink wine and were amazed at the amount of stupidity you could hear. Apparently, once in the mass, people get so stupid and electrified that those words sounded like most profound wisdom they ever heard.

Results few years later showed otherwise :?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Muso wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

++

Groups intelligence = (IQ of most intelligent being in the group)/(Number of people)

I agree; there is something systematic going on. This would be interesting to try to model.

I read once that there is a "mob mentality" that takes over once crowd density exceeds a certain level. In other words, when in close proximity, humans exhibit a herd behavior much like that of many "lower" species. It's my theory that social media effectively puts users "in close proximity", in a large, dense crowd. The result: Moronic Lemming Syndrome.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
When a mass of people go over certain size it basically resembles a herd of buffalo.

Exactly. But I think it's not just size, but density as well (or its equivalent in electronic communication, like "direct internodal connection ratio").
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masse_und_Macht
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Prenj wrote:

Exactly. But I think it's not just size, but density as well (or its equivalent in electronic communication, like "direct internodal connection ratio").

Yeah.

I think I read something about it in a book, think it was called "Intelligent swarm", gonna look it up later, where they demonstrated that as long as density was under certain number the individuals still had individual control, but when it gets packed you can get stampede effects. They gave example of pilgrims in Mecca and other places like fotball arenas where people trample each other to death for no apparent reason.

Could be something in our psyche when we are packed beyond our comfort zone that we are forced to give up on our natural way of thinking in order to cope with it, and that the byeffect is that we become stupid buffalo.

EDIT: The Smart Swarm
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichbinsisyphos wrote:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masse_und_Macht

A truly excellent work. Although not empirically scientific, I think it is essentially true. Notably, it characterizes the irrational character of such mobs, and it makes the important connection between this phenomenon and authoritarianism (without calling it "populist demagoguery").

I had a long conversation on an airline flight once with the (then) deputy director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, who was apparently a psychiatrist, professionally, and said he was headed to our destination to give a lecture on "Crowd Density and Violence", which was his personal area of research. So I imagine there are by now tangible data and mathematical models, at least for physical crowds (as opposed to virtual ones).
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Prenj wrote:

Yeah.

I think I read something about it in a book, think it was called "Intelligent swarm", gonna look it up later, where they demonstrated that as long as density was under certain number the individuals still had individual control, but when it gets packed you can get stampede effects. They gave example of pilgrims in Mecca and other places like fotball arenas where people trample each other to death for no apparent reason.

Could be something in our psyche when we are packed beyond our comfort zone that we are forced to give up on our natural way of thinking in order to cope with it, and that the byeffect is that we become stupid buffalo.

EDIT: The Smart Swarm

I've read similar material when I was looking into complexity and chaos theory and means of controlling them. It's interesting stuff that is in a vague intersection between systems analysis and behavioral science.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, "the smart swarm" is a pretty cool book, it describes various experiments and observations of animals and swarm behaviour, like the observations of how bees actually navigate. It goes into the question of stupid small animals that as a swarm display amazing intelligence like how termites build their colonies without a plan or coordinator agent, yet end up with a structure that dwarvs human creations and have built in climate control that control humidity and temperature in spite the fact that they are built in arid parts of the world with hot day temperatures and cold nights.

Trippy stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: