Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
howto install flash plugin for chromium?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
shallpion
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 331

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: howto install flash plugin for chromium? Reply with quote

I tried to add sym-link use for chromium ( not chromium-bin ). But I received the following:

Quote:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] www-client/chromium-5.0.342.9 USE="plugins-symlink*"
[blocks B ] www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer[gnome] ("www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer[gnome]" is blocking www-client/chromium-5.0.342.9)



What should I do to install flash plugin for chromium? Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 1044

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but maybe you can just put the .so in a directory like ~/.chromium/plugins just like firefox?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phajdan.jr
Developer
Developer


Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 1767
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: howto install flash plugin for chromium? Reply with quote

shallpion wrote:
I tried to add sym-link use for chromium ( not chromium-bin ). But I received the following:

Quote:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] www-client/chromium-5.0.342.9 USE="plugins-symlink*"
[blocks B ] www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer[gnome] ("www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer[gnome]" is blocking www-client/chromium-5.0.342.9)



What should I do to install flash plugin for chromium? Thank you.


You can't have both plugins-symlink enabled, and gecko-mediaplayer with gnome USE flag installed (it's going to cause bad browser hangs).

Here are some choices you have:
- disable gnome USE flag for gecko-mediaplayer and use plugins-symlink (I'd recommend this one if possible)
- uninstall gecko-mediaplayer and use plugins-symlink
- symlink manually, like Rexilion suggested
_________________
http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shallpion
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 331

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I manually linked it at /user/lib64/chromium-brower/plugins and it worked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jim6
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 08 Apr 2005
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: howto install flash plugin for chromium? Reply with quote

phajdan.jr wrote:
shallpion wrote:
I tried to add sym-link use for chromium ( not chromium-bin ). But I received the following:

Quote:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] www-client/chromium-5.0.342.9 USE="plugins-symlink*"
[blocks B ] www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer[gnome] ("www-plugins/gecko-mediaplayer[gnome]" is blocking www-client/chromium-5.0.342.9)



What should I do to install flash plugin for chromium? Thank you.


You can't have both plugins-symlink enabled, and gecko-mediaplayer with gnome USE flag installed (it's going to cause bad browser hangs).

Here are some choices you have:
- disable gnome USE flag for gecko-mediaplayer and use plugins-symlink (I'd recommend this one if possible)
- uninstall gecko-mediaplayer and use plugins-symlink
- symlink manually, like Rexilion suggested


Please post a bug if you know about an ongoing issue affecting users that can be fixed easily inside an ebuild.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lubo777
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 16
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shallpion wrote:
Thank you. I manually linked it at /user/lib64/chromium-brower/plugins and it worked.


Thanks, I copied libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins and now I have chromium with a updated and working flash plugin :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phajdan.jr
Developer
Developer


Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 1767
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lubo777 wrote:
Thanks, I copied libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins and now I have chromium with a updated and working flash plugin :)


1) This shouldn't be needed. chromium-10.x and higher should always use system plugins. Are you using an older version of chromium?
2) Copying the plugin induces a maintenance burden and a possible security risk. You'd have to re-copy it every time the plugin is updated on your system. A much better option would be to symlink it if you really have to.
_________________
http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mreff555
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 Mar 2011
Posts: 194
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lubo777 wrote:
shallpion wrote:
Thank you. I manually linked it at /user/lib64/chromium-brower/plugins and it worked.


Thanks, I copied libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins and now I have chromium with a updated and working flash plugin :)



Could someone explain how to do this. I have libflashplayer.so copied to my /usr/lib64/chromium-browser,
Now what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum