need help updating system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blakdeath
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: need help updating system Reply with quote

I understand the -u updates the system, so now I need to run
emerge -u world to update my system, which is fine, however the handbook is a little cryptic imo when it comes to USE flags when updating
I always use USE="<use flags>" when emerging ANY package, so almost all my packages are using the non default USE flags

when I need to preserve the use flags for the updates, do I use --newuse or --changed-use
or is there another option

thanks
The Doctor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should consult the man pages, because the options don't do what you think they do. --newuse specifically looks for packages with use flag settings are different from the ones on the system, so invoking that option destroys all your command line modifications. You should generally never use USE="flags" because it is non persistent. Portage will never respect these during an update.

Global use flags should go in /etc/portage/make.conf Package specific ones should go in /etc/portage/package.use (you will need to create the file.) Use the following format <catagory>/<pacage> <flags>

Also note the color code portage uses. Red flags are active, blue flags are inactive and green flags which have changed from the previous install.
blakdeath
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up
and the colour part was EXTREMELY USEFUL

dol-sen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakdeath Unless you store how you want the USE flags set in one of the config files, the next time you update those packages, you will loose those settings.

Code:
USE="foo" emerge baz
# time passes
emerge --sync
emerge -u baz
will install baz with foo set just the first time. during the update it will install the new baz with foo turned off.

You must save the settings in /etc/portage/make.conf's USE="foo" (applies foo to any pacakge) or in /etc/portage/pacakge.use (only for baz)

To fix you system. You can use "enalyse" from app-portage/gentoolkit to create a packcage.use file for you.
Code:
enalyze rebuild use

It will scan all your installed pkgs and create entries for any pkgs that have USE flags set differently than the defaults.
After it creates the file, you can load it in an editor and adjust any that are not what you desire. Then save it to the correct location and run
Code:
emerge --changed-use @world

blakdeath
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll use that next time i mix things up
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: