emerge --sync causes kernel panic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: emerge --sync causes kernel panic Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm running kernel 3.5.4-gentoo (can also reproduce with 3.5.3-gentoo) and whenever I emerge --sync, I get a kernel panic.
The stack trace is available here: http://imageshack.us/a/img228/6527/imag0002s.jpg

I have a feeling that it's just a corrupt filesystem (/usr/portage is a reiserfs filesystem on /dev/sda6 and it gets corrupted once every few months due to reiserfs being as reliable as a house made of lemonade straws), but I thought I should ask here just in case this is a kernel bug and my misfortune can help make Linux a better OS.

The crash is 100% reliably reproducible.

Should I file a bug report or should I just reformat /dev/sda6 as I ususally do and get on with my life?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: emerge --sync causes kernel panic Reply with quote

Aquous wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm running kernel 3.5.4-gentoo (can also reproduce with 3.5.3-gentoo) and whenever I emerge --sync, I get a kernel panic.
The stack trace is available here: http://imageshack.us/a/img228/6527/imag0002s.jpg

I have a feeling that it's just a corrupt filesystem (/usr/portage is a reiserfs filesystem on /dev/sda6 and it gets corrupted once every few months due to reiserfs being as reliable as a house made of lemonade straws), but I thought I should ask here just in case this is a kernel bug and my misfortune can help make Linux a better OS.

The crash is 100% reliably reproducible.

Should I file a bug report or should I just reformat /dev/sda6 as I ususally do and get on with my life?

try a different fs, I recommend ext2 with small block size to enable lots of inodes.
it also might be wise to check the drive the partition is on.

btw I use reiserfs for the last 6-7 years with no corruption at all.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive is fine, smartctl reports no errors and both Gentoo and Win7 show absolutely no corruptions of any kind. Except for my reiserfs-formatted portage partition...

About a year ago, it would require an fsck followed by a complete fs rebuild every twenty emerge --syncs or so. With newer kernels this problem stopped, but now with 3.5.x I am getting this kernel panic. Since I've had troubles with it before, I very heavily suspect reiserfs.

I'm thinking of migrating to squashfs/aufs for my portage tree, however first I'd like to know if there's any way I can help get this kernel bug fixed (assuming it is indeed a kernel bug and not a problem on my system - any kernel devs around?).
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquous wrote:
The drive is fine, smartctl reports no errors and both Gentoo and Win7 show absolutely no corruptions of any kind. Except for my reiserfs-formatted portage partition...

About a year ago, it would require an fsck followed by a complete fs rebuild every twenty emerge --syncs or so. With newer kernels this problem stopped, but now with 3.5.x I am getting this kernel panic. Since I've had troubles with it before, I very heavily suspect reiserfs.

I'm thinking of migrating to squashfs/aufs for my portage tree, however first I'd like to know if there's any way I can help get this kernel bug fixed (assuming it is indeed a kernel bug and not a problem on my system - any kernel devs around?).

well first, you need to provide a test case that should work, then you can open a bug on it, try (if you can) to use another partition or drive as /usr/portage with resierfs to see if you can reproduce it.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've created an image of the partition using cat and I've reformatted /dev/sda6 and I can sync once again :). Now, how should I proceed to derive a testcase from the partition image? (I've never filed a filesystem bug report before so I've got no idea what I'm doing.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: